Chapter 39

"I can't have you there Patrick. My mom is going to be crazy enough without you being there," I tell Patrick as we get closer to the park where I texted my mom I would meet her.

"She won't. Sometimes having a stranger there or doing something in public defuses a situation a little bit. And besides that, what's the use of having a boyfriend if he can't be with you during difficult situations?" Patrick answers, taking his eyes off the road for only a second before looking back.

"Look Patrick, it's bad enough to spring Mister Watson on her in the middle of the park. If I throw my boyfriend into the mix, she might just really blow up. Remember, she thought I was at Mandy's, where now she knows I was with you. She probably think we were having sex the whole time," I argue, but seeing him smile at the last sentence makes me smile a little bit too.

"Well, I would not have objected if that was all that was happening while you were at my place," he said with a cocky attitude, taking his hand off the steering wheel to run his fingers through his hair and out of his face.

"Yeah, I bet," I say with a grin as he stops next to the park and switches off the car.

"Tell you what... I won't come with you, but I'm not going home either. I will stay here and wait until you are done, just in case you need me. If things go well, you text me and I leave. If not, at least I am here for you," Patrick says and I know I won't be able to argue with him. When he has made up his mind in this way there is almost no way for me to change his mind.

"You're probably the most stubborn person I have ever met," I tell him, leaning over to give him a quick kiss.

"Well... I am almost as stubborn as you," he says, leaning over to steal another kiss from me.

"I will try and come to you here when everything is over, okay?" I say as I open the door of the car and get out.

"Deal mister!" he answers with a smile, pouting his lips for another kiss, but I just smile back and close the door of the car in his face, because if I lean in for another kiss I may just hop back in the car with him and beg him to take me home and take my virginity.

I walk quickly to the other side of the park to avoid the fear inside me taking over and making me turn back to Patrick in the car. I have no idea how this is all going to go down. The last time I heard from my mom she was shouting at me to meet her and get out of this town, and here I was, not only letting her know to meet me at a park just after dark, but on top of that I have kept my promise and let Mister Watson know to meet us here as well. Maybe with another grownup here, one that actually wants to help, no matter what he might be getting in return, might help her see the light. And if I tell them about my job and the book I am going to sell. Maybe that would be enough to make my mom relax, even if it is for just a while.

I see her pacing up and down in front of our car as I get closer to the other side of the park where the lake is where I have slept underneath the bench with Dumbledore watching over me. I actually look around to see if he is there but he doesn't seem to be in the park yet. He might be a little bit late, or maybe he is sleeping somewhere else tonight.

"Cory!" she shouts as she recognizes me walking over the grass. "Get your ass here right this second! You have no idea the trouble you are in!"

She looks frantic, but I can understand it with all the worry she must be under at this minute. Another night in the car looming over us, where she won't be sleeping but rather playing a lookout must be darkening her mind already.

When I get close to her I think she might slap me, the tears in her eyes and her hair standing over the place in a way I have never seen her before. Not like this in any case. Completely hysterical.