Chapter 33: Developing a mature mindset

Having a mature mindset is something we all should aim to achieve, it is similar to Maslow's self-actualization: reaching the highest level for the greatest good. However, the process to developing this type of mindset is often a long and difficult one. Maturity is being accountable and taking responsibility for your actions: if you did something wrong, own up to the mistake. Instead of trying to pass blame to the next person, try learning from that mistake. Use failures as a step closer to your next success. You do not have to be serious all of the time in order to be mature. Real maturity is knowing your audience and figuring out when it's appropriate to be silly and when it's important to be serious. It's good to have different levels of silly so you can scale your actions appropriately. Understand that silliness usually isn't appropriate in formal situations, such as school, church, at work, and especially at funerals. You're expected to be paying attention, not goofing around. Being silly in these situations will usually communicate immaturity. Be respectful of others. We all have to live in the world together. If you do things to intentionally annoy others, or if you do whatever you want without keeping the feelings of others in mind, people may view you as immature. Trying to remember the needs and wants of other people around you will help you cultivate a reputation as a mature and respectful individual.
Being respectful of others doesn't mean you have to let them walk all over you. It does mean that you need to listen to others and treat them the way you'd like to be treated. If the other person is rude or unkind to you, don't respond with unkindness of your own. Show that you're the bigger person by walking away.