Chapter 26: The importance of family

When we think about family, we often get the idea of people who we are related to, but the real essence of a family is someone who is there for you even in the stormiest of times. Family are God's greatest gift to us, as we are to them. Family are individuals who have special meaning. They are our foundation of support, personal cheer squad, teachers, counselors, and anything else we might need, even if we have to hear the hard truth. They comfort us and even put us in our place. Family can be those we confide in and tell our secrets to. The best friends that absolutely know everything there is to know about us and yet are constantly learning something new. The ones that we listen to and the ones that listen to us. People nowadays have forgotten the true meaning of family; they do not appreciate the gift that God has given unto them. True family does not envy one another for one's possession or success. They do not hate and malice one another over past situations, they rather learn to forgive and love one another just as how Christ forgave and loved us. The Bible says in 1st Corinthians 13:4-8, Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. We should let go of our pride and arrogance and start appreciating one another. Stop believing that because you maybe have more wealth than your brother, you're more than him. People may like you more, yes, but God is a just and Fair God. He doesn't love you more because you pay more tithe than your other family members in church. We were all made in the image and likeness of Christ and he love all just the same. In Deuteronomy, it made emphasis that he is perfect and just in all his ways; God is faithful and true; he does what is right and fair. That is exactly how a family should be. A family is an important foundation to the development of one's life. Do not take it for granted; you might be couple seconds away from loosing them.