quatre

📼 free spirit
khalid
_______

jeongguk watched as adriana laughed at the tv. he was in the kitchen getting some popcorn as his girlfriend wiggled around the couch with laughter. he couldn't help but smile at her. but then elise would pop into his head. and her stupid letter, and he would frown.

why, after all this time, did she send him something? and just when he was happy, too. typical elise, to make a statement.

the sun had set a long time ago and the dark moonlight of the evening lit the way for jeongguk as he walked with the popcorn to the couch, plopping down beside adriana and wrapping his arm around her. she was small and bite size, fitting under his arm just perfectly. her body vibrated as she laughed and that made jeongguk smile. he couldn't even focus on the movie, he could only focus on her.

•••

knock. knock.

jeongguk woke slowly, rubbing his eyes and looking around the room. he was still on the couch, with adriana tucked neatly to his left. the tv was still on, but the clock read two in the morning. they must have fallen asleep during the movie.

knock, knock. this time more persistent.

"who the hell?" jeongguk mumbled, slowly getting up, trying his best not to wake adriana. who in their right mind would be at his apartment at two in the morning?

feeling the cold doorknob against his palm, he undid the lock and opened the door.

he was dreaming. he was sure of it. with a quick pinch to his wrist, and a look to the small figure that still stood in front of him, all damp and dark from the apparent rain, he was sure this wasn't real.

her scent, how it wafted into his apartment. and her eyes, how they were still the same, only a little more sad than the last time he saw her. otherwise, she was still her—the same long dark hair, and button nose that sniffled once and then stopped. perhaps she was cold, jeongguk thought. but his mind couldn't do anything. he was frozen. and so was she. he couldn't even hear her breathing.

eons passed, jeongguk assumed, before they stopped staring at each other and she looked down to her gumboots. his eyes stayed fixated on her face as she shivered. her eyes then trailed back up to him, taking in his whole appearance. she was impressed.

"jeongguk," she finally spoke, the word coming out in a hoarse whisper. jungkook bit his lip, a nervous habit he had formed.

"elise," he said back, and then slammed the door shut, leaving the cold girl on the other side.