vingt-deux

📼 water under the bridge
adele
_______

what was jeongguk supposed to do?

does he get up as he sees elise cascade down the marble staircase, lithe legs walking in his direction?

does he excuse himself and go hide in the washroom?

does he faint, fake a heart attack, or choke on his water at the table? a scene caused, but situation evaded?

he doesn't know what to do. and taehyung is just as surprised as he is, mouth agape, a wine glass forgotten in the expanse of his fingers.

rose seems pleased, though jeongguk is not looking at her. he's staring right at the reason for his pain, love, and everything in between. and how now, she's in his world. the one he built without her, around her.

she's closer, eyes not making contact with his, carefully watching where she walks.

jeongguk obviously isn't the only one who's stunned. thousands of eager eyes watch as she ignores them all, wine being forgotten, plus ones being forgotten.

and now, when she's only a mere two feet away, she stops. rose waves, elise gives a small smile, and her eyes finally land on the love of her life.

time stops.

not that it had been running since she stepped into the room, but it seemed to halt everyone and everything even more.

jeongguk swore taehyung could feel his heart beat, the sound of it was deafening in his ears, but he had to concentrate — he couldn't slip out now.

"welcome," rose clears her throat, daggers being thrown at the men to act a little more proper, "have a seat, elise."

why did rose have to be so nice?

"hi," elise says quietly, taking a seat next to jeongguk.

"h-hi," jeongguk manages to get out, lump swallowed down in his throat as he turns back to the center of the table.

"i'm sorry i didn't tell you, gguk," rose whispers apologetically. "i just didn't want you to say no."

"you-you didn't tell him?" elise pipes up. all eyes are back on her now, the other gentleman at the table wondering why it looks as though taehyung and jeongguk have seen a ghost.

"i didn't know," jeongguk croaks out hoarsely. taehyung slides his water glass further in front of the boy and he takes a much needed sip. it felt as though the air in his lungs had been pushed out like a bagpipe.

"i just..." jeongguk feebly looks around the table. "i just need a minute." and he gets up from his seat, pushing the chair back in with a squeak and leaving in the direction of the washroom.

taehyung frowns at rose, making movement to get up and follow his best friend, but elise stops him.

"i got him," she smiles sadly. "i need to fix this."

++
i'm sorry for the short chapter :(
however, i hope to be updating this soon, so hopefully all your questions will be answered :)
what do you think is going to happen?