Chapter 6: Midnight Talks

[Edited]

Hey!

~~~~

I was making dinner for my family that night. Usually mother makes dinner but today she was very tired from running errands. 

Today's dinner would consist of steak,  green beans, and fries. Mother wouldn't be very happy about the fries but it was her fault for putting me in charge of dinner.

Dad was in front of me, watching the latest football game on the couch I was currently on island putting the plates together. 

When a commercials comes on Dad comes over and sits at a stool by the island. 

"Is food almost done, kiddo?" He asks, smiling. His bulky figure is very visible when he sits with his arms crossed. 

"Yes" I answer. "I'm just putting the plates together."

He nods.

Dad looks different than this morning. His hair is shorter and looks a bit more alive. His chocolate skin tone looks less pale and his smile is bigger.

"Are you okay?" I ask

His smile goes even bigger. "Yeah I'm fine. We'll talk about it at dinner."

Ten minutes later I see Mother's ball like figure comes down the stairs. She looks like she's struggling and she smells.

I can smell her body oder mixed with a fruity perfume as she descends down the stairs. It quiet disgusting. I've smelt it before, but this time it's worse.

"How's your day my love?" Mother calls out when she reaches the bottom and sits at the table. 

My father looks up from his phone and smiles when he see my mom coming over. Honestly it was revulting. How could he look at her like that when she smells and looks like that.

No offense to her.

"Come." my Dad says. "Let's eat." 

"This food looks great, Iris." My Mom smiles at me. Wow when does she ever say that to me? "But I was wondering why there's fries here? You know that they aren't good for you."

There it is. The disappointment card. 

"Sorry Mother, I'll be sure to do better next time." 

A scowl forms on her face. "No next time, I'll be doing it and you will be watching me do it." 

I sigh. The last time I had to do this was when I was ten years old. 

"But Mom-" 

"No buts. I need you to learn about how to properly fuel yourself. Once you find your mate, we won't always be there"

Oh I'm counting down the days.

"Yes" Dad jumps in. "Your Mother is taking the time out of her day to teach you about what is proper to eat. Come on Iris your eighteen and ready to be out of the house. Just let her teach you this."

I sigh when I look at the pleading look on his face. 

Just do it for me, so she'll stop bugging me about it. She feels useless nowadays and this can help her feel less... lonely. Dad says throw our mind link. Gosh I haven't heard him do that in a long time.

Fine. 

"Sure Mom, when do you want me start?" I smile at her forcefully. 

Her wrinkles on her face were popped out when she smiled at me. "We will start this weekend. I have meetings with the other ladies at the pack."