Chapter 29

The streets of Hawaii were beautiful and bright. The people wore bold colors with patterns and designs.

Jungkook and I looked around for any stores that'd be of mutual interest. My first thought was a video game store, but this didn't seem like the place for one of those. There were many shops displaying swimsuits and beach-themed t-shirts in the windows. I wasn't too thrilled by those. After all, I didn't want more clothing to pack up and take home by the end of the week.

The two of us walked silently side-by-side, until I stopped to glance at a strange little boutique. It had an earthy forest theme going on; the front window had a display of leather satchels, colorful glass bottles, and other fantastical accessories. It was certainly my kind of department, but I reluctantly kept moving forward -- I didn't want to drag Jungkook along to gush over nerdy knick-knacks.

Jungkook caught me staring.

"You wanna stop in there?" he asked. I was a bit startled by the question.

"It's just a really nice store," I tried to explain, "We don't have to go in." I didn't convince him, because he started walking in that direction.

The products inside did not disappoint; they matched the magical aesthetic from the front display, and it was impossible not to fall in love with everything. Shelves were packed with leather bound books. Gemstone necklaces hung on display pegs. There were steampunk fashioned keys laid out on a little stand in the middle of the shop. Each were intricately designed, and I wondered how much they would go for.

My heart dropped when I checked the prices. The least expensive key was 30 USD, and I wasn't willing to spend that kind of cash on a souvenir. A black-plated key embellished with red garnet gems stood out among the rest. My heart sunk further; it cost 48 USD. I turned away from the key stand.

Although I wanted to live out a nerd's fantasy dream, nothing in the shop fit my budget. The store was, after all, very out of place in this area. I figured it must be a small business, so the merchandise is not mass-produced.

After I perused the entire selection, I stepped out onto the bustling sidewalk. It only took a minute or so for Jungkook to follow.

Our "date," as Jungkook was delightfully calling it, went well, all things considered. We ate delicious food, visited stores, and admired the neighborhood. A few hours passed and our feet grew heavy. We were exhausted.

On our way back to the house, a child ran up to us. He looked about 5 years old, but it was hard to tell past the crying. Yes, crying... a lot of it. He clung onto Jungkook's leg.

"Hey, hey," Jungkook knelt down to speak to the boy. "What's wrong?"

He got no reply save for incessant sobs.

"He doesn't know Korean," I guessed. I figured Jungkook hadn't considered that yet.

"Well, it's a good thing we have you here. Go on, show off your excellent English speaking." 

I hate it when he gets sarcastic.

"Now is not the time to joke around, Jeon Jungkook." I felt a twang of guilt for bragging about my poor English, now that it's of no use.

Jungkook calmed the child enough to ask about the problem, this time in English. The boy, Nathan was his name, got separated from his older sister.

Everyone was doing their own thing, but Jimin was bored. And it was too hot. Where was Suga, again?

The frustrated boy figured it was about time someone used the pool outside. He went to his room to change into swim trunks. (I 100% added the pool just now cuz I'm abusing my power as the author <3) Taehyung was in the room watching TV.