Chapter Five

Chapter 5 - He's Evil (Greyson POV)

It was a warm Thanksgiving day. From my knowledge of having watched loads of holiday movies, there was nothing that brought people closer together and filled them with more warmth, than cold weather. It was an ironic notion and something I had no real understanding of. I mean, yes, some days it would be chilly enough that you wanted to wrap yourself in a blanket and stay indoors at all costs. But it was never particularly cold or snowy.

Maybe I needed a little snow to uplift some of my spirits.

"Now, you better starting workin' on that food before it get' cold." Mrs. M snapped me out of my thoughts. My neighbor, M was hosting a Thanksgiving breakfast at her house for all of us in the neighborhood who she was close with. She held one every year and it didn't matter what plans people had, they would make sure to stop by for her breakfast.

Her breakfast food was the bomb, only second to her pies. She'd make a few different quiches, collard greens, both bacon and ham, hashbrown casserole and my favorite, sweet potato pie. And it was Florida, so fresh squeezed orange juice was a must.

"When you wait all year for this breakfast, you have to take a second to just enjoy the look of it." I said and she laughed her laugh that could make anyone laugh along with her.

I got a few amens and hallelujahs from the crowd around. Everyone was piled together, either sitting in mismatched chairs, or standing around and eating. Some of the guys were playing dominoes in another room and those who'd be staying the whole day were preparing the living room for the game later on.

"Mmmm, mm!" Rodney, one of her nephews sang. He was the definition of a teddy bear. He was both tall and large, and with his history of playing defense in football and being almost wall-like, you'd think he was scary. However, he was the sweetest person ever who could sing a ballad out of anything. Food songs were his favorite.

I loved being able to hang out with him and listen to him sing. He didn't live in Miami though, so it was only on special occasions that I was able to be in his presence.

"M, you always make my belly the happiest. Can't I move in with you?" He asked, causing M to laugh some more. She was too happy, it was amazing.

For some reason, I just couldn't make myself feel particularly happy. It was nice spending Thanksgiving with my neighborhood family, but I couldn't convince my entire self of this. I ate some of the food, hoping that would jump start my overall mood.

Maybe that was too hopeful, but it did help.

"Hey, I'm sorry I've been gone so much lately." Jayden leaned over to me and spoke. With all the chatter going on around, it was easy to get into small side conversations. He made it a note to be here for breakfast and I was glad to see him. Even if a little bummed that this was the only time I could hang out with him.

"It's okay, I know you're busy being in love," I laughed, trying to keep the atmosphere light, "It's all good."

"You've been doing alright?" He asked.

I was really starting to hate that question.

"Yeah, you know. Just school and work stuff. Nothin' interesting." I replied.

"That guy been givin' you any troubles?" He asked further.

"Who, Connor?" I raised an eyebrow at him. He nodded. "No, I told you I don't see him ever. I still haven't seen him since some months ago," I lied. "He's not my boss or anything. So, I have nothing going on with that."

"Good." He responded. Jay didn't really seem to like Connor. Which wasn't a bad thing, I didn't like Connor either.

The conversation ended and I went back to eating my food and trying to listen to what was going on around me. People kept trying to add me to the conversation. I knew what they were thinking. Why was I, of all people, being so quiet? I just couldn't help it. My mind was empty, so I couldn't think of many words to go along with the conversation.