Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22 - She Is It (Connor POV)

My meeting with Jon and Jack wasn't a smooth one. To say that Jon was livid, was an understatement. I was sure the entire building could hear us arguing back and forth. I tried bringing up my well thought out plan civilally, but Jon wasn't having it.

    I was shocked. Considering the recent meetings I had with him, consisting of him semi-seriously stating he'd put an outsider as the acting CEO, I was expecting him to tell me this was what I needed.

    What he actually said was, "I'm on the way out of the company myself! With my retirement, I thought I could put some semblance of faith in you. How could I be this wrong about you?"

    His words set me off. I was tired of his own contradictions. "You know damn well you don't have any plans to retire. You're still here with all the authority you previously had as if you never had faith in me!" We were both standing up at opposite sides of the desk as the arguing went on, "In this life, unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You don't want me to make the same mistakes as you, so here I am, not making those mistakes. I'm taking this leave, effective immediately and you can discuss with your team and Peter what you'd like to do with the company."

    I gathered my things as Jonathan kept yelling out nonsense. I looked over at Jackson, who was silently sitting beside where his brother stood, and he had the faintest smile on his lips. As I finally gave some sense of acknowledging his presence, he nodded once, signaling that he agreed with my new plans.

    The arguing continued until I was able to open the door of the meeting room and walk out, being freed from Jon's assault and freed from work.

    Outside of the building, I felt weird. I didn't think it would hit me so hard, but it did. I fully recognized that I wasn't bound by the job. Jonathan, and the rest of the workers, would have to think about things and figure out solutions, but I no longer had to. I no longer would.

    There was no other way for me to describe it than weird. I had never felt so calm in all the vacations I took. Now, just leaving the building felt like the weight that had been built for years was washing off of me. I was truly free.

    As a free man, I decided I needed to speak with Adam.

    We met up in his small condo. He still had boxes littering his space from having recently moved back from Japan and currently in the process of moving to a bigger space.

    There was a good amount we had to get through, but I knew the thing that I wanted to get out of the way frist, "Why did you meet up with Greyson?" I asked him as he handed me a glass of water.

    He also had a glass of water, and I was happy he was trying to stay sober. Adam spent far too much of his time being inebriated.

    He plopped into his own seat, trying to hide a smile. "To have her hand deliver that letter to you because I knew you'd be so curious about it, you'd finally talk to me." The smile overtook him and I could tell he felt like the most clever person in the world.

    I wasn't as quick to smile. I knew he flirted with Greyson on multiple occasions and she never shared with me if he crossed any boundaries. Adam was one to cross boundaries.

    Although I couldn't deny his reasoning, I knew it wasn't just a quick meet. Something about it convinced Greyson to bring it to me. Which wouldn't have been easy considering our argument that had taken place beforehand.

    Realizing my quietness, he stopped with the jokes, "Believe it or not, she actually asked me to meet with her."

    Now that was hard to believe. "Really?" I asked.