Chapter Fourteen

Ch. 14 - She's Hurting (Connor POV)

I never went back to the office that day. I couldn't. I spent an exorbitant amount of time at the gym until my whole body was fatigued and I couldn't do anything, but go to sleep.

Now my entire body was aching as I stood in the elevator, trying to get to my office. I was already late by about half of the day. Which as bad as that was, didn't really matter since my entire schedule seemed to be clear.

"Good afternoon, Connor." Amanda told me as I walked past, trying to ignore the shakiness of my legs. I could hear the sarcasm in her voice. The desire to ask me where the hell I had been, but knowing that wasn't her place or business.

"Good afternoon." I said flatly.

"Shall I schedule anything for you today? You've been getting calls since early this morning."

Amanda was Jon's ploy of having someone motherly in my life. While Jon had continued being his batchelor self, well into his older age, Amanda would be the one constant. And what a terrible constant she was.

"I'll let you know." I continued to my office. Nobody was in the main space. I was sure they were trying as hard as possible not to run into me. With all that was going on, they'd assume they'd be the victim of a questioning game.

In my office, I set down my things, and sat in my seat, feeling my body ache. I went through the directory, trying to find which Ryan was Greyson's supervisor. When I finally found it, I spared no time in dialing it up.

I did tell myself to let it all go. Let Greyson be and continue with the business. But then I'd remember her tears and knew I couldn't just let it be.

"Mr. Meyers, what do I owe the pleasure?" He picked up, entirely too cheery.

"Good afternoon, Ryan. I've visited your office yesterday. I was unaware that you weren't in and your crew couldn't help me. I was wondering if you knew about Greyson's whereabouts? Jon had some business he wanted to discuss with her." I lied. I didn't care, I didn't need anyone knowing any of my business.

"Ah, yes. The guys told me you had stopped in. I hope she's not in trouble. She's been a great asset to us here. Shame about what's been going on."

I paused, lingering on his words. "No, nothing like that. He just has an update he wants to give her about Japan. What's been going on?" I asked, half mindedly standing up to go look out the large windows. As I waited for his response, I looked down at the scene below. Things were much farther away on the top floor.

"Didn't you know? Her mom passed away."

My body went cold, "What?"

"Oh jeez, I thought you knew. Her mom passed away last week and she'd been planning the funeral. I told her to take all the time she needs and I'd cover for her." The line was silent as I tried to even form a complete thought, "I'm sorry. I thought she told you. She once told me you two stayed in touch."

I just hung up the phone. I couldn't say anything. I couldn't believe it.

My office phone rang then, snapping me out of my trance. I went over to it and unplugged it. I shut off my phone and sank into my chair. The last parent she had was dead and I had the audacity to pick a fight with her.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" I asked myself. I was staring at the floor, past my shoes. "How could I have known that?" I tried reasoning, trying to make myself feel a little bit better. Not that it worked. How could I be so horrible to her? Did I even try to listen? To understand?

I stood up from my desk and left the office, taking nothing, but my keys with me. I locked my door and headed back to the elevator. I could see Amanda watching me from the corner of my eye, but thankfully, this time, she said nothing.