Chapter Ten

Chapter 10 - Who Is She? (Connor POV)

I was having a private meeting with Jonathan in my office. Someone in the media jokingly made a comment about our company being bought out and it felt like all our worst fears were being realized.

    After our emergency meeting on Monday morning, I had to clear out my entire week's schedule to deal with this. I met with groups and Jonathan and then Jonathan again, and I was finally realizing that nobody had any sense about how to handle such a situation.

    It was the first time that meetings felt like a complete waste of time.

    Jon finally lifted his head from my desk. I was actually watching him unravel. He had his suit jacket off and his tie loosened. I supposed being his son gave me this privilege, but it was very out of character for him. I didn't like seeing him so unsure.

    "I can't believe I was hoping to retire soon and now I have to deal with this." He said, throwing a pen he was holding at the desk.

    I glanced down at my open laptop and the fifteen tabs I had opened. My computer was a disorganized mess of articles, personal notes, half written emails, half read emails, book chapters, et cetera. Any more of this and I was sure I would be opening a new tab for, how to run a car company for dummies.

    "Well, it's not like you had anything better to do. You never even booked a vacation." I finally said, almost absentmindedly. I scrolled over to one of the tabs, pulling up an email I needed to finish writing. Just because Jon was holding me captive all week, didn't mean I would completely ignore my responsibilities.

    "I became so calm over the summer," Jon began monologuing, "I was happier, I was more at peace... Now I'm so stressed that if Jackson tells me one more word of encouragement, I may just fire him!"

    I looked up at him. I saw the stubble of a beard he hadn't shaved and the salt and pepper gray hair he had tousled weirdly from laying down. "Now that would be one of the best business moves of your career."

    "I hate that I can't see what the best move is," He said, ignoring my comment. "Sell my company?" He shook his head, sadly.

    I scoffed, "At least that would help your shareholders. You'd get a nice check too" I said sarcastically and started typing the next sentence of my email.

    "It's not about the money for me. If I sold, that would mean my father's work, my work, even your work, was all for a payday. That's not to mention how all of our employees would lose their job security. I have an obligation to those people and they matter."

    I hummed an agreement, trying not to lose my chain of thought on what I was typing.

    "Dammit Connor, you don't even seem to care. Greyson opened my eyes. She showed me that everyone, no matter if they are sitting in your seat or mopping our floors, deserves the utmost respect and my concern for them."

    I could've groaned. My fingers stopped typing as I heard his words, I could feel the annoyance through my veins, "How about you make her CEO now and she can figure out what to do."

    Jon stayed quiet, looking over at the floor, like he was deep in thought.

    "Please tell me you aren't seriously considering that."

    "An outside perspective can always help."

    My eyes went wide. He was dead fucking serious. Jon was actually going batshit crazy. "Do you need to be checked into a mental institution? You can't just trust your gut and an outside person with running this company that you have oh so much pride in. At that point you might as well sell it!" I was speaking loudly. "Greyson only got lucky with a few words she said. Would you really gamble away your company? That doesn't sound like you care about the little people, Jonathan."