Chapter Eighteen

Ch. 18 - She's Clarity (Connor POV)

 "Merry Christmas you workaholics!" Jack exclaimed, raising a sugar cookie as a toast, before bringing it back to his mouth. I had no idea where he found the atrocity of a Christmas sweater he was wearing, but he'd blasted the air conditioner so that he could sit comfortably.

I continued sitting in my leather seat, watching everyone before me, my mind drifting in and out.

I watched Jon take another swig of his Whiskey, knowing full well he wasn't in the Christmas spirit either. We had all been at Jon's house, as he enjoyed hosting most parties, however, it was clear to see that this time around he probably wished he'd canceled it. Which, considering this man lived by the notion that all business could be pushed aside for a get together, it sent a bleak shadow over everyone in attendance.

"I'm so cold! Can't we enjoy a tropical Christmas like most other Floridians?" Samantha had her arms crossed tightly across her chest. She seemed to be pushing her chest farther forward in display with that maneuver. She was wearing a short burgundy and white floral dress, that had spaghetti straps and even a slit down the side. Which was ridiculous, considering it barely covered her ass to begin with. I rolled my eyes and drank from my own glass.

Most of the crowd had died down, and I was stuck with the old man crew, a few couples and Sam. None of her family lived in Florida, and although she could've easily visited them during the holiday, she seemed attached to me at the hip.

I ensured we took two separate cars to this gathering.

She noticed I wasn't paying much attention to her and waltzed over, sitting on the arm of seat I was in. She looked at me and I raised an eyebrow at her. "We need a blanket." She told me and I felt my jaw clench. She was pushing her luck, hoping to solidify some make believe position of being my arm candy.

I turned my gaze to the television that was quietly playing, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Jack's personal favorite. I couldn't get my mind off of Greyson and I no longer cared to try and stop myself from thinking about her.

She liked me.

I thought about that kiss. It was intoxicating and deep. I couldn't stand the fact that it was now only just a fleeting memory, becoming dull, despite how much I wanted to cling onto it.

Why the fuck did I answer my phone?

I checked my phone then, scrolling through the many messages I received, trying to find one from Greyson. Nothing.

I clenched and unclenched my jaw a few more times, unsure about what I should do.

"Alright, you all seem to be falling asleep here," Jackson spoke, breaking me from my thoughts. I hadn't realized just how quiet the space had gotten. "Let's exchange gifts so we can all go home." He sighed. I could tell he was upset by what a sour Christmas this turned out to be.

Charlie seemed to perk up at this, even if nobody else had.

Jonathan stood up with a grunt, and handed everyone in attendance an envelope. I grabbed mine and placed it on the side table. He always handed everyone a check. I couldn't remember the last time he'd actually given gifts.

"Connor..." Jackson signaled me. With my own sigh I stood up and grabbed some of the small boxes I had on the table beside me. Every year I bought everyone a new watch. I'd stock up for the sake of how large the party may have gotten and returned the rest. Looking at the amount of watches I had on the table and the amount of people still in the room, I definitely bought far too many.

I handed out the ones with names first, giving to Jon, Charlie, Jack and also Sam. Then I handed a few more to the others. Everyone mostly stuck with their smart watches, but there was always an occasion for another watch.