Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12 - She's a Bad Distraction (Connor POV)

By Monday morning, I was cracking like an uncooked egg that was hit with a hammer.

Naturally, I ignored the advice Peter gave me to take it easy over the weekend. I needed answers so I went online and kept digging and digging until I was reading an article that was released back in 1973 and had no relevance to the current structure.

I called Jon to advise me about what I should do about Adam. Whether I should call him back or not. Jon informed me that it would be a stupid idea to do so and I needed to give myself more time before I approached him.

I expressed my anger and wanting to understand a few things. However, he was right when he said I would probably lash out and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

So, I released my anger by digging through articles and hitting the gym. Over the course of the three-day weekend, I slept a total of five hours.

At the office, I prepared my files and computer for the meeting. I still didn't have any ideas, but with the amount of information I now had, I was sure listening to someone else could lead me in the right direction. I was in one of the most spacious meeting rooms in the building, and therefore the most comfortable to have a long meeting in.

Peter finally walked in, looking a little too chipper for a Monday morning.

I remembered Jon's words about not being able to trust my team and how Peter wouldn't be giving me any solutions to our problem. With his happy expression, I could believe it. He wasn't here to find answers, he just wanted to watch us spiral out of control and suggest we sell so that he could get his easy money.

I sipped on the third cup of coffee I was having that morning.

"Woah, Connor." He raised an eyebrow at me, wiping the smirk off his face. "I promise I mean this in the kindest way possible, but... You look like the reincarnation of death." He joked.

I squinted my eyes. I didn't like him treating me like a friend when we were nothing more than colleagues, and I was his superior.

"Did you relax at all this weekend?" He asked.

"You know I can't relax when the actual fate of this company is at stake." I told him, slumping into my seat. It was good that I planned a personal meeting for just us two before everyone else came in.

"Connor, I know you're stressed. And I know this situation with Adam made everything a lot worse," I looked up at him as he remained standing at the opposite side of the table. "If you didn't clear your head, you're not going to be able to function today. Let me take the reigns as your COO and I'll hold this meeting." He told me and I nearly scoffed. He was looking for my demise.

"No way, I have to be here."

"I did some research yesterday and I do have some actually solid ideas. As in, we're going to be in a better place than we have been last week. You need some rest. I told you. You're freaking out because you haven't taken a break from this and come back with fresh eyes. Take a shower, or a nap. I'll meet with you tomorrow about what we come up with." He said.

"I can't do that. What are your ideas?" I told him.

He sighed, "Let me do the job you hired me to do."

His only advantage in our conversation was that my mind was so wrapped on the concepts; car company, electric, and sellout that I could hardly think straight.

"I will be back later in the afternoon." I gathered my things into my briefcase.

Peter looked relieved. As I went to exit the space, he grabbed my hand and shook it firmly, "You're a great leader, I'm not going to let you down." He said, just as giddy as he'd been.