Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16 - She Causes Confusion (Connor POV)

I had been spending my time, locked inside my office. I was slipping and I knew it. There was a mess of papers on my desk and on the floor. I was trying to keep my mind so preoccupied on work, but the thought of Greyson always managed to slip in and I'd go even crazier with trying to push her out and think of how the company could easily go fully electric.

This craziness was even reflected in my appearance as my hair was finally long enough that it was curling into my eyes and my beard was unruly.

As I continued my descent into madness, I had Joey go to all of my meetings and nobody was to bother me, unless they had the solution on a silver platter. Absolutely nothing else.

Occasionally, I'd look at my phone wondering if Greyson would text me. Or call. I knew it didn't make sense for her to do so, but I wasn't making much sense anymore. I wanted to call her, but with how angry she was, I didn't want her to hate me further.

I dropped my phone into the mess of papers and looked around myself. I had never seen myself make such a mess. I tried to pick up a few things, reading over whatever it was. Some were my chicken scratch notes, others were papers filled with information I felt were important and could lead to a solution. None of it was organized and I desperately needed to clean everything up.

I thought about calling Sam in to do it. I knew she would love to do it and be able to be near me, but I knew that would be a terrible mistake in the long run.

My office phone rang and I went over to look at it. Seeing Amanda's name come up caused a wave of annoyance to radiate through me. I told her not to bother me, and there she was, doing the exact opposite.

I decided I wouldn't take it out on her, in fears that she would tell Jon and I'd have to deal with him too.

"Yes?" I pressed a button so I could speak with her on speaker phone.

"Greyson is here and would like to speak with you. That is, if you're not too busy with your back-to-back scheduled meetings with your office." She spoke and my heart nearly skipped a beat.

I had to blink a few times to make sure I hadn't just imagined it. I had been hoping to hear from her in some way, shape or form, but didn't actually expect it to happen. Especially in the flesh. It was like all of my hopes were coming true.

"Send her in," I finally told Amanda, hanging up. I looked at the door, eagerly. Maybe I had misheard her and she said Samantha?

Finally, after what felt like years, my door was slowly being pushed open, revealing the chestnut brown skin that could only belong to Greyson.

Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she wore a navy blue business dress.

She closed the door behind her and we stared at each other. After some time, she looked around me, "It looks like something blew up in here." She said, and I realized I really should've tidied up. I stepped over the papers, and she took a step closer as well.

I was in shock. I didn't even know where to start.

"You look homeless." She spoke again, her eyes staring upward at my hair.

I couldn't pay attention to her words, she was there, in front of me. "Greyson, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry about what I said, I'm sorry about what happened to your mother," I finally let out and Greyson's eyes grew wide for a second in surprise, before returning to her stony expression. "I'm sorry I didn't seem to care about you."

Her eyes became glassy, the green becoming so vibrant, so stunning. "I did like you, Connor." She said and finally the tears rolled out of her eyes. "And once I liked you, I didn't know how to get over you."