Chapter 17: Marriage

The promise she made to him that day

She intended to keep

Sorry I haven't updated for a while. I've been pretty busy this month with SATs and endless tests after the teacher strike. But I finally managed to write a chapter yay!

Hope you all like it! Vote, comment, enjoy!

It was about a week of bedrest later that I woke up to a blow horn blasting in my ears.

The sound of laughter rang throughout the room and I blew out a breath of annoyance. The ringing in my ear subsided and I slowly turned my head, narrowing my eyes at the chestnut brown hair that was blocking the girl from my view. The pale yellow dress she wore crinkled at the bottom as she knelt down, thumping the floor with her hands. I'm pretty sure tears were streaming down her face.

"I-I'm sorry but I couldn't resist!"

I slowly sat up and stretched, extending my wings so it caught the warm sunlight that filtered through the window. Something fluttered down and landed on my lap. I shrieked causing Cora to stand up in surprise. "I'm losing feathers! I'm losing feathers!" I extended a wing and stuffed the soft feather back under but it just came loose and fluttered back down onto the bed.

What is happening?! I'm turning bald! If this is what getting injured gets me, I'm hiding the rest of my life.

"Whoa! Calm down!"

"Calm down? Calm down?! Do you see what this is?!" I shoved the brown spotted feather in her face as her lips twitched. I was panicking so much I didn't even care if I'm acting like an insane person in front of royalty right now.

"You're just molting."

"What?!"

Cora gave me a look of confusion. "Yes. Our feathers fall off and new ones replace them as seasons change." I gaped at her. "Did you... not know that?"

"No!"

"What?!"

I eyed the brown feather in my hand. It ended in a black spot at the tip, sprinkled with white specks towards the base. Funny how I never realized my feathers fall off....

The door suddenly burst open and Killian appeared, wings flared out behind him, eyes scanning the room. When he saw it was just us, he calmed down and tucked his wings behind him as if he didn't barge in like King Kong thumping his chest. I felt a little proud for remembering that huge unrealistic gorilla from the human world.

"Who screamed?" He casually leaned against the doorway and tilted his head to the side, observing us.

Cora threw me a smirk. "Amara here, didn't know our feathers molt."