Chapter 5

Looking out the room's window, Sam can't help worrying. The rest of the day passed, and Dean still wasn't back. He wasn't answering calls, which isn't like him, but Sam knows he can't leave in case Dean comes back, so he waits. Pouring over the books only distracts him for a few hours, then Sam starts pacing. Finally, Sam stares out the window. He hears the ruffles of feathers and sees Castiel standing close to the small table near the beds. "Did you find him?" Sam asks, panic in his voice.

"I'm sorry, I could not find him," Castiel replies, looking down at the ground. "Has he called back?" Castiel asks the brother, hope in his eyes.

"No, nothing. I hope Dean returns soon. We are losing time on this vampire nest, and it's not the time for him to lose his mind." Sam shakes his head, passing Castiel and takes a seat at the kitchen table.

Castiel walks over to the brother, patting him on the shoulder. "I'm sure he'll be back soon, Sam. Have faith." Castiel leaves the brother and excuses himself to the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Dean drives quietly back to the motel, gripping the wheel tight the entire drive. It's a quicker drive than he recalls as he pulls into the parking lot. Dean shuts the car off before making his way back into the motel room. Striding across the room silently, he tosses his coat on the bed before making his way to the small fridge and grabs a beer. Dean drops the cap on the table kitchenette table before settling himself on the bed against the headboard. He sighs, bringing the bottle to his lips, taking a large drink, swallowing hard.

Sam watches as Dean enters and crosses the room to grab a beer. As Dean sits on the bed, Sam walks over to the foot of it, looking down on this brother. "Where did you go, Dean? I've been trying to call you all day?" Sam asks, concern written all over his face.

Dean cocks an eyebrow at Sam and his questions. Setting his beer down on the nightstand, he leans forward, retrieving his phone from his jacket. Dean looks at the screen seeing the missed calls and text from Sam. He shrugs, tossing it on the nightstand as he picks his beer up again, taking another large drink. "Sorry. Guess I lost track of time," he says, casually. He finishes the beer quickly and sets the empty bottle on the floor as he rolls over to the other side of his bed and begins digging through his duffel bag. "Do we have anything stronger?" He asks, looking back up at Sam.

Castiel walks out of the bathroom, looking over at Dean as he asks Sam for more whiskey. "Welcome back, Dean," he says with a smile.

Dean's eyes widen, looking over as Castiel walks out of the bathroom. He jumps up, taking large strides across the room towards the angel. "You sonovabitch," he glares, all but ready to lunge at the man now standing in front of him.

Castiel doesn't flinch as Dean charges him. "What is the matter? I've been looking for you all day, but when I couldn't find you, I came back here. Are you okay?" Castiel's face becomes a mask of concern.

"Dean, just relax, man," Sam urges, trying to calm his brother down. He reaches into his bag for the bottle of whiskey that he carries. "I, uhhhh... found the hard stuff, bro," Sam sets it on the kitchen table, looking from Castiel to Dean, not sure what to do in the situation.

Dean's eyes narrow as he studies Castiel's face, searching for something. He sighs, walking over to the table as he grabs a beer out the fridge before sitting down. Opening the bottle of whiskey, he takes a significant pull, savoring the burn of the liquid as it reaches his stomach. He closes his eyes briefly before looking down at the papers and books scattered on the table.

Castiel takes the seat across from the older brother, looking into his face. "I think it's been a long day and you need some sleep. Tomorrow we can talk about taking out the vampire's nest," Castiel looks over at the books, then glances to Sam.

"Yeah, I think that sounds like a good plan, don't you, Dean?" Sam asks trepidly. He pulls two beers out of the fridge, handing one to Castiel as he pulls a chair up on the other side of the table.

Castiel takes the beer, opening it and tipping the bottle towards Dean as if toasting him. "To having sweet dreams," he says, winking at Dean, a grin shadowing his lips.

Dean's eyes widen at Castiel's words, glaring at him briefly. Dean smirks back at Castiel as he picks up his beer, clinking against the neck of the angel's beer. He nods, shaking his head and takes a swig before setting the bottle on the table. He pushes himself up and walks over to his bed, removing his red plaid shirt. Dean turns back to the men who are still seated at the table. "I'm not feeling tired. I'm thinking about heading to that little dive bar up the road. See if I can't find a one-night-wonder," his smirk widens. "You might want to sleep with your headphones in, Sammy." Dean turns his gaze to Castiel. "Don't wait up," he says with a wink.

"Dean, I don't think that is such a good idea. You don't know if you'll run into one of the vamps. You've been gone all day, why don't you stay here and we'll have some drinks?" Sam asks, almost begging his older brother not to leave, the pain and uncertainty all over Sam's face.

Castiel looks at Dean. "If you're going out, I'll come out to keep an eye on you and make sure you don't get attacked by the vampires." Castiel asserts, his eyes daring Dean to argue the point.

Dean shakes his head in protest, slipping on a black plaid shirt. "No guys, really, I'm good," he walks back over to the table as he picks up his beer, taking another large drink. Setting it back down, Dean walks up behind the angel. "I appreciate the concern, Cas," he pauses before clapping a hand on his shoulder, leaning down almost whispering in Castiel's ear. "I'm a big boy," he chuckles softly. "I can take care of myself." Dean squeezes Castiel's shoulder firmly before walking over toward his bed to retrieve his jacket.

Sam stands, rushing to grab Dean's keys by the door and leaves. "Sorry, Dean..." Sam calls out as he gets into the Impala and leaves.