Chapter 13

Pulling into the garage of the bunker Dean yawns from the drive, stretching out briefly. He glances over at Sam asleep with his head resting against the window. His eyes move to look over Castiel's lifeless form in the back seat as his heart sinks for what seemed like the thousandth time that day alone. He rubs his hands over his face inhaling the stale air of the car. His eyes study Cas' bloodied face and wracks his mind for ways he could have prevented this from happening. Tears prick at his eyes once more as guilt washes over him as he curses himself for not being able to protect Castiel or reach him in time. He sighs and clears his throat before turning back to Sam and patting him on the chest firmly. "Wake up, Sam."

"Huh, oh good morning, Dean," Sam looks around. "Are we back?" Sitting up, Sam glances in the back seat, hoping yesterday was just a bad dream. Seeing Cas back there, some sound escapes him and he puts his face in his hands. "I was hoping it was just a nightmare, Dean," Sam mumbles.

Dean nods letting out a deflated sigh. "Yeah, me too..." He says before opening the door and leaning out. "I'll bring Cas in, grab the bags." He says getting the rest of the way out of the car. He opens the back door and leans in looking over Cas' face before gently moving his soft hair off of his forehead. He sucks in a breath and cradles his body into his and gently pulls them out of the car. 

Grabbing the bags from the car, he stops and watches his brother. The tears fall again, watching how gentle Dean is with Cas. Clenching his jaw, he heads to the main building, crossing the garage. "Where are you going to put him, Dean?" Sam whispers, it echoes in the garage.

Crossing the space of the garage with large steps he reaches the door and walks in past Sam sideways before heading down the hall. "My room." He answers simply, as though it wasn't even a question that needed to be asked. He continues down the hall unstopping not giving Sam a chance to argue or protest. He makes his way to the door of his room, happy he had forgotten to close it, and slips in, crossing the small space, and lays Cas gently down on the bed.

Sam just nods, "I suppose that was a stupid question," he says simply. Sam follows a ways behind and goes to his room. He toes the door open, dropping the bags into the room. Walking down the hall, he drops Dean's bag near the door but doesn't stop, giving his brother some privacy. "You'll have to clean him up, Dean. It wouldn't be right to leave him like that and I can't do it. It's not my honor," Sam mentions as he walks down the hall, entering the main room.

Dean nods at Sam's voice as it passes by his room. He makes his way to the closest bathroom, retrieving a few wash rags, some towels, and soap. He tucks the towels under his arm and moves quickly into the kitchen grabbing a large metal bowl and fills it up with warm water. He makes his way quickly back to his room and sets the items on his desk. He rolls his leaves up and walks to the bed as tears begin falling down his cheeks again. Wiping them away quickly he gently removes what clothing Cas has left on his body tossing them by the door. He adds soap to the water and dips a wash rag in it and begins work on Cas' perfect bloodied face. Placing a hand under his head he lifts it slowly and washes his face, being extra careful around the wounds. The tears being flowing freely as he works his way down to Cas' chest and he takes in the full extent of his wounds.

The bunker is deathly quiet, fitting, considering what they've been through the past couple days. Unloading the books onto the table, Sam glances back towards where their rooms are, wondering how Dean is doing. He would have taken the cleaning duty, but he figured that it would help Dean to grieve. Sam wanders around the room, straightening things that don't need straightening, anything to keep busy. Looking at the time, he knows seven o'clock is too early to go to bed, so he heads to the showers instead. "Dean, I'm going to get cleaned up, then get some shuteye," Sam broadcasts to his brother, hoping he hears him. Walking back towards his room, Sam collects his clothes, then disappears into the shower.