chapter 20

Your p.o.v.
   The room fell a bit silent after Gaten had greeted whoever was at the door. We heard footsteps, which was probably the person walking in, and the door being closed.

   "Should we go?" Noah whispered to me, and I nodded in reply. We walked down the hallway, and into the main room to see who was at the door.

   A figure stood, their back toward us. A crimson body-con dress hugged their body. Straight, shiny, sleek black hair fell past their shoulders, while silver hoops twinkled at their ears, and bracelets sparkled at their wrists.

   They must have heard us coming, because they instantly whipped around, and I saw who it was.

   "Kyla?" I said accidentally said aloud out of surprise. The only three times I'd seen her, she'd had her hair up, and had uniform on with very little to no makeup. This time was different, she wore a beautiful and fancy dress, her hair was shiny, sleek, and down, and her makeup was gorgeous. Everything about her was on-point today.

   "Oh, hello Y/N," she smiled at me, then glanced next to me at Noah. Her eyes widened, and her pupils dilated. "Noah, hey!" She walked toward Noah, her heels clicking against the hard floor as she took each step. When she reached him, she wrapped her arms around him, and pulled him into a hug.

   "Oh-- a warm welcome," Noah chucked nervously. I felt my face flush with anger as I watched her embrace him, why was that necessary? She literally saw him like, an hour ago, and she didn't do any of that.

   She pulled away, and Noah was slightly pink. "Uh hey, why didn't you tell us you were heading to Caleb's, too? We all could've walked together." When Noah said this, I suddenly felt so glad she didn't tell us she was coming, too.

   "Oh, no, it's alright," Kyla giggled. "Besides, I had to finish my shift, and I had to get dressed and do my makeup. All that matters is that we're all here." Her dark red lipstick-lined lips curved into a smile.

   "Glad you could make it, Kyla!" Caleb said. "Feel free to have a seat and get some snacks in before the next thing I have planned."

   "I'm scared," Finn said.

   "Well, you should be," Gaten said. "Caleb is unpredictable."

   Kyla reached for Noah's hand, and grabbed it. My jaw clenched as more anger rushed through me as I watched them. "Let's have a seat." She led him over to the couch, and sat beside him after he sat down.

   All of a sudden, I felt this weird feeling, like the feeling I had at the diner when I saw Kyla and didn't want her to come and see us. I just couldn't place my finger on it, I couldn't think of what it was, I just know it was a weird feeling I'd never felt before.

   "Hey, Y/N?" I came back to my senses, and looked to see Kyla facing me. "Why don't you come sit?" She smiled, and pointed at an empty seat across the room.

   "Thank you, but I think I'll hit the restroom first." I plastered a fake smile on, and Kyla nodded. I looked over to Caleb. "Do you mind telling me where the bathroom is?"

   "Down the hall, take a left, then keep going straight. It's the second door on your right." Caleb said, and I nodded in reply, and walked off. I needed to cool down for a moment.

   I followed Caleb's instructions, and went to the restroom. I stared at myself in the mirror to see my face tinted with pink. What's gotten into me? I turned on the faucet, and splashed water onto my face. In this moment, I was so glad I didn't use any foundation or too much makeup in general, otherwise it'd wash off. I splashed my face again with the cold water, my face cooling down.