chapter 23

Noah's p.o.v.
   "We've got the snacks-- woah," Jack's voice called out, and I didn't bother to turn around. But then I realized, Y/N was with Jack. I whipped around, as my eyes fell on Y/N who stood there with her smile, her genuine smile. The smile that could light up anyone's day. And apparently, Jack was able ro trigger that smile, and today, I guess I was unable to.

   "What's all this?" Y/N asked. I followed her eyes down to the three forts made of blankets and pillows, with a projector that shone onto the plain wall.

   Caleb smiled proudly. "Well, we can't just watch a movie the ol' typical way, can we?"

   Y/N laughed, as she set the chips down in the middle of the pillow forts, and Jack followed her, putting one box of soda cans down. A weird feeling began to spread over me, like the feeling I felt at the hospital when I witnessed the... incident. Y/N turned around, she laughed while she saw Jack struggling to set the other down, and assisted him. I found myself gritting my teeth, and crossed my arms, turning away from them.

   Y/N, what are you doing to me?

Jack's p.o.v.
   During the movie, I felt a nudge on my side, and I turned around, while my eyes met Wyatt, who wore a smirk.

   "So... what happened when you two went to go and fetch the snacks?" Wyatt whispered to me as he popped a chip in his mouth.

   "Nothing, really. We just had short conversations here and there," I shrugged as I said this, then looked up to see Wyatt's confused face.

   "That's all?"

   "Well, yeah, but it really is a miracle she even talked to me, considering what happened yesterday." After the words left my mouth, I realized what I said. My eyes darted right up to Wyatt, who's eyes, as I imagined, were buldged with curiousity.

   "What happened?"

   "Nothing happened," I knew the teasing would be non-stop if I told him what happened yesterday.

   "Jack, what happened?" He tapped my shoulder over and over again, as I tried to focus back on the movie.

   "If I tell you, will you please keep quiet?" Wyatt gave a curious and fast nod in reply.

   I let out a huff of air. I just knew I probably was going to regret this. I looked around at everyone, who's attention was on the movie, or in eachother while in conversation.

   "I told her I liked her yesterday," I felt a small smile spread on my face at the memory of yesterday on the balcony.

   Wyatt's jaw fell open. "You, what?!"

   "I told her I liked her," I repeated to him, and after a second, Wyatt's open mouth turned into a smile.

   "I can't believe you haven't told me sooner!" Wyatt laughed. "Well, what'd she say?"

   I thought back to yesterday, going over every word said between that time. "I don't... remember,"

   "Don't remember...?"

   "Don't remember her saying anything back, I think,"

   "Nothing? Not even a rejection? Like 'Sorry, I don't feel the same way'?"

   I thought hard about the night, as I heard Wyatt pop another chip into his mouth, and I remembered. How could I even forget?

   "I kissed her," The thought of it made me smile again.

   "Wait, really?!" I nodded in reply as Wyatt smirked at me. "You're right, small conversations are really somethin' if you were able to do that yesterday. We've gotta get you another opening."

   "On Monday?" I asked, popping some popcorn in my mouth.

   Wyatt shot me a sly grin. "Tonight,"

Noah's p.o.v.
   I sat inside of the pillow fort, not bothering to watch the movie; something else was bugging me. My eyes studied hard on Y/N as she watched the movie so closely, a smile of amusement on her face. I found myself smiling at the sight of her, although I couldn't explain exactly why.

   The blankets moved in front of me, and someone poked their head out. After a second, my eyes made out who it was. "Hey," Kyla shot me a big smile as she whispered this, careful not to be loud to interrupt the movie, I'm  assuming. "Mind if I join you?"

   I paused a moment, looking away from Kyla to Y/N, who's attention was still on the movie. I let out a quiet sigh. "Sure,"

   She squeezed into the fort with me, and sat next to me. I sat in the same position, shooting quick, subtle glances at Y/N.

Kyla's p.o.v.
   It was just Noah and I in the fort, the thought of it made me happy. There was no Y/N to sit around us and bother us, and everyone was nice and quiet, so we could easily have a small conversation without being interrupted.

   I looked over at my side to Noah. He sat with his legs crossed, and he rested his face on his hand as he watched the movie. I admired him, and how perfect he looked in the dark, yet semi-lit lighting, defining all of his best features, and making his face glow in the projector light.

   After a few seconds, he turned his head slightly, as if to stare at something, then he turned back to the movie after a long and quiet sigh. What was he staring at? Seconds passed, and he looked the same way he did, once again.

   "Noah?" I whispered, tapping his shoulder gently.

   He turned around to look at me. "Hm?"

   "Is everything okay?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

   "Yeah, I'm fine, I just... like this movie a lot, that's all," he gave me a smile, and brought his finger up to his lips. "Watch it, it's a good one. Shh."

   I grinned, and he smiled back, then he turned back around, his eyes on the movie. Although he said he was okay, I knew something else had his attention. I poked my head out a bit, trying to see what got his attention when Noah turned his head for the the third time.

   My eyes fell on Y/N, who sat, watching the movie, and my eyes darted back to Noah, who's eyes were unmistakably, on Y/N. I slowly sat back down, jealousy creeping up my spine. So this whole time, Y/N had his attention. I peered at Noah, who's attention was back on the movie. There was a pang of pain in my chest, and my teeth gritted at the thought of her. Then I remembered something; I was going to do whatever it took to win Noah over, and before I could stop myself, I scooted close to Noah, close enough that our knees touched, and I gently held his arm, and leaned my head on his shoulder. He turned around quickly to look at me, but I pretend not to see him, pretending to watch the movie, as I prayed he wouldn't make me let go. After a few seconds, he slowly looked back to the movie, while a smirk curved across my face.

   I was going to have Noah back to myself.