Heading home

Dianne's POV:

I reached over to my left expecting to find Joe's warm body, but as I stretched out my arm and went to position my head onto his chest, I woke suddenly as I fell onto the cold matres on the bed. The sheets pulled back, and Joe out of reach.

I woke up properly and looked to the end of the bed, in the posh hotel room we were staying in. Joe was sat only in his boxers on the wooden chair at the desk across the other side of the room. His phone to his ear, and a serious and pissed off look on his face. The charming smile that had returned for a week or so, now lost in a haze of drunken memories from last night. 

I sat up in bed and rested my back against the head bored. I pulled up the soft duvet so that it was covering my chest whilst I looked at the serious boy at the end of the bed. I may have only just woken up, but something told me that this phone call wasn't just one of the boys checking in. This was something serious.

Narrator's POV:

"Alright...uh hu.... okay... thank you officer." Joe said down the phone. Tears had threatened to fall down his face. That phone call was the last thing he wanted right now.

He looked up across to Dianne as he hung up the phone and chucked it onto the wooden desk behind him. He sighed and looked across to the beautiful red head who sat attentively, looking back to him. Nothing was said for several minutes - both Joe and Dianne kept each other's gaze locked onto the other. The silence was deafening between them. Until eventually Dianne broke the silence.

"So?" She asked inquisitively

Joe sighed deeply - rubbing the sleet out of his eyes before answering back. "That was the uh... the police back in London. They've found Anthony and suspended him in jail..." Joe had more to say but was interrupted when the red head leapt put of the bed and ran over to Joe. She sat on his lap, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. She pulled away and looked Joe in the eyes.

"That's brilliant news Joe. It's all over - It's finally fucking over." Dianne said with a smile on her face.  She lent in and kissed Joe again, but quickly pulled away again when Joe didn't kiss her back.

"I'm not finished Di..." Joe said in a serious tone as he got up away from Dianne leaving her, on the chair, whilst Joe sat himself across from her on the edge of the messy bed. Joe breathed in heavily once again. Preparing himself to repeat what the Police had instructed him to do.

"Anthony's in jail yes, but he's in there leaving threatening messages around the place, beating up anyone within the prison who's coming near him and apparently he's got word out to a 'friend' and has said that he would pay him shit loads of money if they killed you." Joe paused again. Wiping the tear from the corner of his eye. Dianne stayed strong but not by choice. Her entire body was in shock. Joe cleared his throat and continued to speak.

"Earlier this week, Anthony has said that he wants to speak to me. Legally he's entitled to one phone call or personal visit. He wants me to go in and speak to him."

"I'm not letting you go Joseph." Dianne said sternly as a tear threatened to fall down her face.

"It's happening this evening Di. I'll be fine. An officer will be in right outside the door and he won't have a chance to hurt me. But if I don't go, he'll have a chance to hurt you."

"Well in that case I'm coming in with you."

"You can't!"

"WHY NOT JOE"

"BECAUSE IT ISN'T FUCKING SAFE DI!!!" Joe yelled back to her. "I'm sorry Di but you can't come with me - you can't even come home with me."

"What are you talking about?" Dianne questioned feeling more than hurt and confused.

"The police have booked me a train back to London, I have to catch it in 3 hours. And for you, they have said that given our situation and how public this all is, It isn't safe for you to come back to the UK. You have a flight back to Australia booked from Paris International Airport at 3 o'clock"

Dianne's POV:

I heard Joe's words play over in my head. I couldn't bring my thoughts together properly. This wasn't how it was meant to go.

Why hasn't Joe fought for me to stay?

If not in the UK then at least with him?

I loved Australia more than anything in the world but the thought of having to leave Joe for god knows how long frightens me more than anything. I would get to be with my family but I might have to go for months without being allowed to hear anything from the one man I love.

Without warning, an irrational anger began to build up within me. I wasn't entirely certain what I was angry at,

Joe?

Anthony?

The police?

I had no idea.

either way, the feeling of neglect I got from Joe was overpowering me for an all to brief moment until eventually I came to my senses.

Joe wasn't getting rid of me, he was keeping me safe.

Not out of duty or care but out of Love. I knew he didn't want to go to Anthony and I know he didn't want to send me off to the other side of the fucking world but he knew that he had to if it meant keeping me safe.

"Di please say something to me?" Joe said calmly bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Okay." I replied simply.

"What?" Joe asked confused.

"I'll go to Australia - but on one condition"

"Anything" Joe said expectantly

"That you don't forget who I am to you" As I said it out I could tell that Joe thought I was being ridiculous at first - but as he let my comment seep in, he understood what I meant.

"Who you are is the only person that I have ever loved - I will message you every day - stay up till 5 in the morning and live on your time zone with you - I will never forget you Di." Joe took a pause before continuing

"Even if it kills me."