Chapter 42- Frank

Chapter 42

Frank

     Frank’s ears rang in fear. The world will end… He had two days to close the Doors of Death or the world would end because of him. Him and his friends, but the fault was still on him. He blinked like he was trying to see past sunlight. He would die. His fate was sealed.

       “What are you talking about?” Leo demanded, sounding harsh and panicked.

       “Gaea is going to release all souls from the Fields of Punishment.” Juno’s face turned perfectly blank again. “The gods are weakening. Either you seven close the Doors of Death or the world will be Gaea’s.”

       “So we have two days?” Percy asked, looking sick to his stomach.

       “Yes. That’s when all the worst souls will escape.” Juno pulled her hood up. “Keep your eyes open…”

       “What is that supposed to mean?” Jason asked.

       The room lit up. When Frank opened his eyes again, Juno was gone, taking all the safety and warmth of the warship with her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

     It took a while to move from the shock. Frank was seated at the couch, looking at his friends. They all looked petrified. So far the boys had been yelling and cursing. The girls remained silent.

       Percy was holding Annabeth. He was looking away. He had a sad look in his eyes. He had died and come back to life, then just received a one-way ticket to death. There was a huge change they all would die- and Percy was taking it very hard.

       Annabeth’s eyes were puffy- no doubt she had been crying into Percy’s shirt. Her face was drawn with sadness. She was curled up into a fetal position, her cheeks slick with tears. Her shirt was wrinkly and she had only one sock on.

       Jason looked deep in thought. He seemed to be thinking, not suffering over this death sentence. He gave another deep sigh. He felt Frank’s eyes on him, glanced over, and managed a little smile.

       Piper was busy looking upset. Okay, upset was an understatement. Her lips were pulled down in a frown, her eyebrows were pulled together, and her eyes were shiny. Every once in a while a tear streaked down her cheek but she hastily wiped it away.

       Leo looked bummed. He sighed pitifully. He rocked back and forth all while saying softly, “Yeah, the gods expect seven teenagers to save the world. Please. Most of us can’t cook, but good thing I can…”

       Hazel, who already looked beat up, was upset. Her wide golden eyes were closed. She was limp. She could have been asleep, but every once in a while she would open her eyes and look around.

       After the long silence that seemed to drag on for hours, Leo said, “Maybe we should, uh, get ready.”

       “We have two days…” Annabeth whispered. Her voice broke.

       “We have to go soon.” Percy sat up, forcing Annabeth to sit up as well.

       “When will we go?” Hazel asked with a shake in her voice.

       Percy locked eyes with Annabeth. “In the morning,” they said in unison.

       “Nice,” Leo grumbled. “I don’t wake up early.”

       “I’ll make plenty of coffee,” Annabeth assured him.

       “Then I’m in.” Leo grinned, his nose wrinkling and his eyes twinkling.