Chapter 12- Annabeth

• Dedicated to To my buds, who help me with my writer's block :3

Chapter 12

Annabeth

     Putting on her perfect act was tough. Annabeth was having a tough time with the Romans. She began to trust Jason a little more, and she was still mad at herself for yelling at Hazel the other day. They fell two times in one day, and she told Percy about the Mark of Athena. She had promised to tell the others, but something in her told her that wasn’t a good idea. A huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. But when everything started going right, everything went so terribly wrong.

     The first incident that happened while Annabeth was still steering the warship, Piper rushed into the room, her face red with fury. The daughter of Aphrodite was having the worse of luck, so Annabeth figured something happened to her.

     But what Piper said shocked everyone. “Leo kissed me.”

     There was a beat of dead silence. Jason spoke first. “Can I kill him, Piper?”

     “Yes,” she nearly growled. “He’s probably hiding in the kitchen.” They ran off, leaving Annabeth alone.

     A few minutes later, Percy came out. He kissed Annabeth quickly. “Hey, Wise Girl,” he muttered. “I’m the son of the sea god. Let me take the wheel.”

     “Okay,” she whispered. She got up, touched his hand, smiled, before running in the direction of the library.

     She was spending so much time in the library, searching for stories about Gration and Ephialtes. The Mark of Athena had its role in the disappearance of Piper that was going to happen in Rome, so Annabeth took it personally. She needed answers.

     Before she could get inside of the library and find more books, she heard something. A faint voice was carrying a tune not far from the library. Annabeth went to the door of the engine room and pressed her ear against the metal door. There it was. The person was… singing. He was tone deaf and couldn’t carry a tune, but Annabeth wanted to investigate.

     She slapped on her Yankees cap. The tingly feeling ran through her as she turned invisible. She opened the door, and the searing heat welcomed her. She quickly closed the door, going closer and closer to the main engine. The singing got louder and louder.

     “I throw my sandwich in the air sometimes, saying, ‘Aye oh, where’s my mayo?’ I throw my Skittles in the air sometimes, saying, ‘Aye oh, taste the rainbow!’ I throw my test up in the air sometimes, saying, ‘Aye oh, I got a zero!’”

     Annabeth wanted to burst out laughing. It was Leo singing his version of Dynamite. He was probably hiding from Jason.

     Feeling a little evil, Annabeth whispered, “I see you, Leo.”

     There was a high-pitched shriek.

     “Hey, Leo,” she greeted, trying hard not to burst out laughing. She took off her hat. “I know why you’re hiding.”

     “Annabeth,” he gasped. “It’s you! I nearly blasted you with fire!”

     She crouched next to him. “Piper and Jason are going to kill you. Why did you kiss her?” She was eager for an answer.

     He glared at her. “Bye, Annabeth.”

     She grinned. “Bye, Leo.”

     Being sneaky, she snuck out of the engine room. Piper and Jason were still prowling the halls, trying to find Leo.

     Once in the quiet library, Annabeth picked up a thick volume containing Greek monsters. She flipped through the myths, trying to find an answer. She held the wooden carving of the Mark of Athena in her hand.