Chapter Seventeen: Dinner With The Parents

I was in the cafeteria. Eating lunch alone on a table.  I had a chicken sandwich and a bottle of water.I was listening to music with my Air Pods. Chantel didn'tv come to school today and Mia was practicing a new song she wrote in the glee club room. I was using Instagram on my phone.

"Is this seat taken?"

I looked up from my phone and took out my air pods. I saw Joe looking at me with a small smile.

"No of course not." I said.

" it's been a minute." He said sitting down right next to me.

"Yeah. I've been busy with football practice. In fact I made the team! I wanted to tell all of you guys together but since the only one here I decided just to tell you cause I'm so excited I'll tell the rest on the group chat."

"Wow that's so amazing!" I said excitedly raising to my palm to give him a high five. He pressed his palm on my palm.

"Yeah I didn't think I was going to make it since i was a little rusty." He said.

"So I'm guessing you're now officially Mr Popular."

"Stop that. Nothing has changed I'm just playing a sport I'm kinda good at."

"If you say so." I took a bite of my sandwich.
His facial expression changed to a bit more serious look.

"Well there's another thing I wanna talk about. He said running his hands through his hair. "It's about what happened between me and Chantel."

"Yeah I wanted to call you about that but I felt you would come to me when you were ready to talk about it."

"Hooking up with Chantel randomly like that was a dick move. Alcohol isn't an excuse. I don't want things to be weird in the friend group..."

I could emphasize with him. He's a bit new here and hooking up within the friendship make things awkward and weird and now that they decided not to date and just leave it as a one night stand it's even more weird. Things like this leads to friends picking a side and I really don't wanna pick between two people I care about.

"Me too...you both shouldn't have done that but you know we all mistakes."

"Yeah but this is one was shitty as hell." He said looking upset. "We talked it out and it was just a one night stand and we both don't want a relationship we're better off as friends."

Well If they both have had a conversation I guess the situation isn't as bad as it seems.

"Well if you guys have talked it out that's it it's something we will all hopefully move on from. Just don't make any more dumb decisions enibriated."

"You don't have to tell me twice." He said chuckling. "Thanks I really needed this talk."

"Yeah we haven't talked about anything this deep-"

My phone started ringing loudly . I looked down.

The Caller ID showed Noah.

"Your phone is ringing."

"Yeah Joe sorry I gotta take this it's my boyfriend." I said sitting up straight.

"Yeah no problem you do that I gotta go meet some of my team mates anyways it was nice catching up."

He said getting up. He stood up from the bench and was now facing me.

"Later homie."

"Later." I waved him off.