Chapter 9

We both got into the car and buckled up. We are going to Target.

        "So are we gonna have like cake or something?", I asked.

        "No. If you consider weed brownies as cake.", he said and laughed.

        "Wait. There's going to be drugs?", I asked. I can't deal with drugs. I'm not that type.

        "Have you ever been to a high school party?", Jack asked and turned to the right, into the parking lot.

        "No. I was never invited.", I said.

        "Oh. Well this place is packed.", Jack said.

        "Yeah.", I replied. I saw a vape in his pocket and I took it out. Inhale and exhaled. It was vanilla. I have to get used to this soon. I turned to Jack and he was looking at me, biting his lower lip.

        "That's hot.". he said and laughed. He took the vape and inhaled the smoke and exhaled. The car began to smell like vanilla. "It's been a while since I have used this."

        "It's pretty good. I would need to get one for myself.", I said and laughed.

        "Keep mine. It's a gift.", he said and smiled. "Oh and we need to get you a bikini."

        "Why?", I asked with a laugh.

        "It's a pool party with a bunch of viners. You need to look good.", he said.

        "Alright, I guess.", I said and stared at him awkwardly.

        "You'll look great. I promise. You always do.", he said and smiled. I blushed.

        "I found a parking spot.", I said and pointed to the right and Jack parked the car. We walked into the store and bought everything. We decided to get the bikini last.

         "Jack. Can you come in here?", I asked. He walked in slowly and a smile slowly crept onto his face.

        "It looks great.", he stutters with his eyes widened. 

        Once we got into the car, I noticed we forgot something.

         "Did we forget to buy beer?", I asked as Jack put the car in reverse.

        "We aren't getting beer.", he said in a tone that obviously meant he was angry. His hand gripped the steering wheel harder.

        "Is this because of Johnson?", I asked.

        "Yes. He is giving others bad impressions and who is closest to him in the group? I am. So if he gets shit, I will too.", he said. I can tell he is frustrated. I took his hand and held it. He became less stiff and sighed.

        "Have you talked to him about it?, I said and Jack intertwines our fingers.

        "No. I think he knows I'm mad.", he said.

        "Well you have to tell him or something. Maybe he doesn't know you're mad and keeps doing it. I mean, he's your best friend. He has to make you happy.", I said and looked at him. He looked at me for a second and smiled

        "You make me smile.", he said and squeezed my hand. We got to the house and the party was starting.

        "Hey. Where's the beer?", Johnson asked when we walked into the house.

        "Sold out, I guess. Shelves were clean. I think a lot of people are having parties around here.", Jack said. Johnson looked sad and took the bags of drinks.

        "It's cool. Taylor isn't back yet. I'll call him to see if he can pick some up on the way.", Johnson said and walked to the kitchen to put the drinks in the coolers. I saw Jack taking a step to Johnson and I stopped him. He looked at me in the eyes and smiled.

        "Let's get you into that bikini.", he said and smiled. I took his hand and he lead me upstairs to his bedroom. His bedroom was big. He had a bed for two. His room smelled amazing.