Chapter 19

"Cali Smith. Do you know what time it is?", my mom asked and walked towards me. I sighed.

        "Mom. Are you serious? I can't always do this for you. It's 11:04PM. You need to learn how to tell time. I mean, there is a clock over there on the wall for heaven's sake.", I said. I grabbed a bag of chips.

        "Cali Smith. Do not speak to me like that.", my mom said.

        "What? You asked for the time and I told you it.", I said and plopped down on the couch. I turned on the tv and popped a chip into my mouth. I pulled my phone out and I got a text from Jack that said 'Miss you already.' I couldn't help but smile.

        "Are you texting him?", my mom asked.

        "Yeah.", I said and smiled.

        "Were you out with him today?", she asked.

        "Yeah.", I said and laughed a little.

        "Go to your room.", she said. I turned around and looked at her.

        "Are you serious?", I asked. She nodded and I groaned. I went upstairs to my room. I wore Jack's sweater and watched tv for an hour until I got a text from Jack. It said 'Open your window.' I smiled then ran towards my window and opened it. Jack stood there with flowers. I smiled.

        "Hi, I love you.", he yelled.

        "Shh. Come up.", I said. He nodded and somehow found a way to climb up into my window.

        "I missed you so much.", he said and hugged me then spun me around.

        "Babe. We saw each other an hour ago.", I said and hugged him back. He sat on my bed and pulled me onto his lap. He kissed my forehead and we watched tv together. Someone banged on my door a little later and my heart stopped. 

        "Who is that?", Jack whispered and pulled me into his arms.

        "It's my dad.. You have to leave now.", I said and pushed him out of my bed.

        "What? Why? I just want to be with you.", he said and hugged me.

        "He will hurt you. Please go home.", I said in his arms. My dad bursts through my door and sees Jack.

        "You again?", my dad asked. Jack pushed me behind him.

        "What are you going to do about it?", Jack asked. My dad pulled out his pocket knife and Jack jerked back. 

        "Dad. You're crazy!", I screamed.

        "Tell him to leave now.", my dad said. I looked at Jack.

        "Jack. You have to leave. You are gonna get hurt.", I said. He walked towards the window and climbed out halfway.

        "What about you?", he asked.

        "..I love you.", I said and he gave me sad eyes.

        "I love you too.", he said and left my room.

        "What did I tell you?", my dad said and put his knife away. I turned around and saw Jack drive off.

        "Dad. I'm almost 18, please.", I said.

        "He is making you a bad person. He is ruining your grades. He is ruining your future career. What do you not fucking understand?", he said and slapped me. I fell onto the floor.

        "But I'm happy with him.", I quietly said.

        "What did you just say?", he yelled and raised his hand again. I didn't respond. He beat me for about 30 minutes. He punched me, kicked me, slapped me, you name it. He did it all. He turned my tv and my room light off then shut my door when he was done. I sat in the same place for an hour, crying my eyes out. I knew exactly what to do.