Chapter 3-The Ups, The Downs And Black Wings Of Poverty

It's been almost a month since Kai left Okinawa and arrived in Japan. He blew through his money within the first week. The difference between the two places were evident.

Back home, if people couldn't avoid him, they always grovel. Giving him the best of everything. But here, no one knew who he was nor did he want them to know. He was robbed, extorted and conned out of most of his money. Even without all this he would have still been broke thanks to high food prices. He tried to get bentou (boxed lunch) when they were on sale. He'd get beaten up by professional bentou hunters.

Using his remaining founds he stocked up on cup ramen. He cook them by letting sag with water from public restroom as he searched for employment.

Three days ago, he ate the last of his ramen.

He now slowly wasted away. Too much a coward to steal and after numerous failed begging attempts, he throws in the towel, waiting to die. I'm pathetic. I'm really going to die in this alleyway, aren't I? Grandma-chan isn't coming to save me this time or Nagisa-chan or Mom-san. Why should they? I abandoned my duties for selfish reasons I can't even explain. I'm all on my own now. I'm going to die alone... He thought closing his eyes waiting for death's cold embrace.

As he slept, his heart raced. His breathing frantic. His eyes opened to a miracle. A piping hot plate of pork and rice was waiting for him. Without hesitation he stuffed his face. It's so warm and so tasty! Tears of joy streamed down his face. His heart was touched by the generosity of the unknown benefactor yet seemed so familiar as if a guardian angel had decided to step in.

Beyond the plate was a fluffy blanket. He reached for it. He looks behind him. For a second, at the end of the ally, he saw purple hair ducking behind the corner. He runs to that spot shouting. "Wait! At least allow me to thank you properly!" He was too slow. They were long gone. A single black feather fall from the sky. He caught it. For some reason it comforted him, reassuring him that things all work out.

The strange events that took place that night, receiving food and warm clothes out of nowhere and being protected from street thugs, yakuza, slave traffickers and organ stealers, would continue over the next few days.

Right now, he was going store to store asking for work but no such luck. Since he was inexperienced, under age, no documentation and refused to tell anyone his last name. He sighed now getting turned downed for the fifteens time and that's just today. But latched on to hope. Just stay positive and keep trying my hardest. Something will eventually work out as long as I keep an open mind. Besides I've got my Guardian Angel-sama watching over me. He thought with broad smile on his face not knowing he was attracting the wrong kind of attention.

"Hey look. It's that girly looking kid that's always wondering around town looking for a job. Why hasn't anyone taken him yet?" Says one out of five random thugs across the street.

"Like who?" Asks another.

"Like the organ stealers, duh."

"I dunno. Maybe they're on vacation?"

"Only vacation for people like them is prison or the grave. What about the slave trafficking guys? Where are they? I'm sure there's some sick bastard out there who'd pay a huge price for cute little redheaded boy. Let's nappem and make ourselves some quick cash." He encourages all his cronies. They crossed the street. It's a while after they start tailing him before he notices.

Are these guys fallowing me? Who are they? What do they want? Are they some goons who indirectly work for my clan and have come to take me back home by force? Or are they here to kidnap me for ransom? They caught up.

The thug put his arm on Kai's shoulder. "Hey there kiddo. Are you alright? You look a bit out of it kid. Here, let your big brothers help you out." He pointed a knife at his stomach. It was clear he shouldn't try to run. They take him to an empty alley. Shoved him to the ground. "Hey guys, get a load of this. This kid doesn't try to run or call for help. You do realize that you're going to ether die or become someone's property, right?" He asked rhetorically while stepping on him. "Wouldn't it be nice if everyone was this cooperative? Nah. Where's the fun in that." He kicks him in the gut.