six

The group was outside the Burrow

The group was outside the Burrow. A broom materialized directly above the ground.

"It's them!" Hermione screamed.

Tonks landed in a long skid that sent earth and pebbles everywhere. "Remus," Tonks cried as she staggered off the broom into Remus's arms.

Remus's face was set and white. He seemed unable to speak.

Hermione flung herself at Sally. "I thought - I thought you - I almost lost you!"

Sally grimly smiled but hugged Hermione tightly. "You will never lose me, Hermione. I'm your songbird. I'll always be here to sing for you."

Hermione sadly laughed, giving Sally one last squeeze before backing away, but her hands were still loosely clinging onto Sally's shirt.

"Ron was great," Tonks warmly said, relinquishing her hold on Remus. "Wonderful. Stunned one of the Death Eaters, straight to the head, and when you're aiming at a moving target from a flying broom - Oh, but Sally was fantastic as well. A spell nearly hit Ron and I, but Sally's quite great at defense spells. With Sally on defense and Ron on offense and me guiding the broom, we were like our own trio."

Sally looked at Hermione. "I'm sorry I left you alone. That must have been frightening. There was no one to help you. You could have - "

"But I didn't. I'm fine, Sally. You're the one that almost died."

"Are we the last back?" Ron asked.

"No," said Ginny, "we're still waiting for Bill and Fleur and Mad-Eye and Mundungus. I'm going to tell Mum and Dad you're okay." She ran back inside.

"So what kept you? What happened?" Remus sounded almost angry at Tonks.

"Bellatrix," Tonks replied. "She wants me quite as much as she wants Harry. Remus, she tried very hard to kill me. I just wish I'd got her. I owe Bellatrix. But we definitely injured Rodolphus... Then, we got to Ron's Auntie Muriel's and we'd missed our Portkey and she was fussing over us - "

There was a bulging muscle in Remus's jaw as he nodded, but seemed unable to say anything else.

"So what happened to you lot?" Tonks asked, turning to Harry, Hermione, and Kingsley.

They recounted the stories of their own journey, but they were still thinking of the continued absence of Bill, Fleur, Moody, and Mundungus.

"I'm going to have to get back to Downing Street. I should have been there an hour ago," Kingsley announced. "Let me know when they're here."

Remus nodded. With a wave to the others, Kingsley walked away into the darkness toward the gate. Arthur and Molly came racing down the back steps, Ginny behind them. Both parents hugged Ron before turning to Remus and Tonks.

"Thank you," Molly said, "for our sons."

"Don't be silly, Molly," Tonks replied at once.

"How's George?" Remus asked.

"What's wrong with him?" piped up Ron.

"He's lost - "

A thestral had just soared into sight and landed a few feet from them. Bill and Fleur slid from its back, windswept but unhurt.

"Bill! Thank God, thank God - "

Molly ran forward, but the hug Bill bestowed was perfunctory. Looking directly at his father, he said, "Mad-Eye's dead."