twenty-three

Hermione, Harry, and Ron followed Neville through the portrait and into the tunnel

Hermione, Harry, and Ron followed Neville through the portrait and into the tunnel. They had been walking for ages until they reached the end of the tunnel. Neville walked through, revealing all the students who had once been apart of Dumbledore's Army.

After talking for a brief moment, Ginny, followed by Fred, George, Lee, Sally, and Kimberly, entered the room. Sally immediately walked up to Hermione and wrapped her in a hug, while Kimberly ran up to Ron and kissed him.

"You're okay," Sally whispered.

"I'm okay," Hermione whispered. "Are you?"

"I'm fantastic, now that I've seen you."

"But what are you doing here?" Hermione asked.

"Preparing for battle, of course. The Order's here to fight," Sally explained. "Did you find the Horcruxes?"

Hermione shook her head. "We're hoping someone here will know."

"Okay," Harry called to the room.

Fred and George, who had been cracking jokes for the benefit of those nearest, fell silent. All of the students looked alert, excited.

"There's something we need to find," Harry said. "Something that'll help us overthrow You-Know-Who. It might have belonged to Ravenclaw. Has anyone heard of an object like that? Has anyone ever come across something with an eagle on it, for instance?" He looked hopefully toward the little group of Ravenclaws.

"Well, there's her lost diadem. I told you about it. Remember, Harry? The lost diadem of Ravenclaw? Daddy's trying to duplicate it," Luna explained.

"Yeah, but the lost diadem," Michael Corner replied, rolling his eyes, "is lost, Luna. That's sort of the point."

"When was it lost?" asked Harry.

"Centuries ago, they say," Cho answered. "Professor Flitwick says the diadem vanished with Ravenclaw herself. People have looked, but nobody's ever found a trace of it, have they?"

The Ravenclaws all shook their heads.

"Sorry, but what is a diadem?" Ron asked.

"It's a kind of crown," Terry replied. "Ravenclaw's was supposed to have magical properties, enhance the wisdom of the wearer."

"Yes, Daddy's Wrackspurt siphons - "

Harry cut off Luna. "And none of you have ever seen anything that looks like it?"

They all shook their heads again. Harry looked at Ron and Hermione and his own disappointment was mirrored back at him. An object that had been lost this long, and apparently without a trace, did not seem like a good candidate for the Horcrux hidden in the castle.

Before he could formulate a new question, however, Cho spoke again. "If you'd like to see what the diadem's supposed to look like, I could take you up to our common room and show you, Harry? Ravenclaw's wearing it in her statue."

Harry's scar scorched again. "He's on the move," he said quietly to Ron and Hermione. He glanced at Cho and then back at them. "Listen, I know it's not much of a lead, but I'm going to go and look at this statue. At least, find out what the diadem looks like. Wait for me here and keep - you know - safe."

Cho got to her feet, but Ginny said rather fiercely, "No, Luna will take Harry, won't you, Luna?"

"Oh, yes, I'd like to," Luna happily replied.

Cho sat down, looking disappointed.

"How do we get out?" Harry asked Neville.

"Over here." Neville led Harry and Luna to a corner, where a small cupboard opened onto a steep staircase. "It comes out somewhere different every day, so they've never been able to find it. Only trouble is, we never know exactly where we're going to end up when we go out. Be careful, Harry, they're always patrolling the corridors at night."

"No problem," Harry replied. "See you in a bit."