twelve

Remus pointed at the Daily Prophet

Remus pointed at the Daily Prophet. "Look at page two."

Hermione turned the pages. "Muggle-Born Register," she read aloud. "The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called "Muggle-Borns," the better to understand how they came to possess magical secrets. Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when Wizards reproduce. Where no proven Wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-Born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force. The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-Born to present themselves for the interview by the newly appointed Muggle-Born Registration Commission."

"People won't let this happen," said Ron.

"It is happening, Ron," Remus replied. "Muggle-borns are being rounded up as we speak."

"But how are they supposed to have 'stolen' magic? It's mental. If you could steal magic, there wouldn't be any Squibs, would there?" Ron asked.

"I know," Remus replied. "Nevertheless, unless you can prove that you have at least one close Wizarding relative, you are now deemed to have obtained your magical power illegally and must suffer the punishment."

"What about Kimberly? She's Muggle-Born," Ron said. "Her parents are Muggles, but she's part of the Order? Won't they question her?"

Hermione put a hand on his shoulder. "Calm down, Ronald. I'm sure - I'm sure everything will be fine."

Remus nodded. "Jane and Kimberly are safe. They're safe with your family, Ron."

"What about Sally? Is she all right?" Hermione asked.

"She's... We don't know where she is. I'm sorry."