twenty-seven

"He is dead!" Narcissa called to the watchers

They yelled in triumph and stomped their feet. Through his eyelids, Harry saw bursts of red and silver light shoot into the air in celebration. Still feigning death on the ground, he understood. Narcissa knew that the only way she would be permitted to enter Hogwarts, and find her son, was as part of the conquering army. She no longer cared whether Voldemort won.

"You see?" screeched Voldemort over the tumult. "Harry Potter is dead by my hand, and no man alive can threaten me now! Watch! Crucio!"

Harry had been expecting it. He knew his body must be subjected to humiliation to prove Voldemort's victory. He was lifted into the air, and it took all his determination to remain limp, yet the pain he expected did not come. He was thrown three times into the air. His glasses flew off and he felt his wand slide beneath his robes, but he kept himself floppy and lifeless, and when he fell to the ground for the last time, the clearing echoed with jeers and shrieks of laughter.

"Now, we go to the castle and show them what has become of their hero. Who shall drag the body? No -Wait - You carry him," Voldemort ordered Hagrid. "He will be nice and visible in your arms, will he not? Pick up your little friend, Hagrid. And the glasses - put on the glasses - he must be recognizable."

Someone slammed Harry's glasses back onto his face with deliberate force, but the enormous hands that lifted him into the air were exceedingly gentle. Harry could feel Hagrid's arms trembling with the force of his heaving sobs.

"Move," Voldemort commanded.

Hagrid stumbled forward, forcing his way through the close-growing trees, back through the forest. The Death Eaters crowed all around them. Nobody looked to see whether a pulse beat in Harry's neck.

"Happy now, are yeh, that yeh didn' fight, yeh cowardly bunch o nags? Are yeh happy Harry Potter's d-dead...?"

Hagrid could not continue, but broke down in fresh tears. Voldemort's voice was magically magnified so that it swelled through the grounds, crashing upon Harry's eardrums.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone. The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy-Who-Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman must be no child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

There was silence in the grounds and from the castle.