eighteen

Harry and the others tumble onto the beach near Shell Cottage

Harry and the others tumble onto the beach near Shell Cottage. Sally held Hermione gently.

"It's all right, Hermione You're safe. We're all safe," Harry reassured.

No one responded because they were all looking past Harry, so he turned around. Dobby was standing alone, a queer smile on his face, hand over his heart, the hilt of Bellatrix's dagger protruding between his fingers.

"Dobby - "

Harry briskly walked to Dobby and cradled him in his arms. Dobby looked up at the sky.

"It's okay, Dobby," Harry coaxed. "I'll fix you. Hermione - your bag - you must have something - Essence of Dittany or something. Hermione! Help me! Here. Just hold on."

Hermione stood, limply leaning against Sally with tears streaking her cheeks. Sally wrapped her arms around Hermione and kissed her forehead.

"We'll get through this together," Sally reassured.

"Such a beautiful night...to be with friends.
Dobby is happy...to be with his friend...Harry Potter..."

Dobby shuddered, then went limp. From behind, Bill and Luna were approaching from the cottage in the distance.

"Fleur's seeing to Ollivander," Bill said. "Anyone else need tending - "

Bill stopped to eye Harry curiously, then saw Dobby's limp legs dangling lifelessly. As the others watched, Harry reached out and gently pulled the dagger from Dobby's chest, then shrugged off his jacket and enwrapped the elf's body.

Luna walked to him. "We should close his eyes. Don't you think?" She reached out, tenderly placed her fingers upon Dobby's eyelids, and closed them. "There. Now he could be sleeping." She turned to look at Harry. "Harry, it's all right that it hurts. That's what reminds us how lucky we are to be alive."

Harry studied her serene face briefly, then his eyes shifted to Dobby. "I want to bury him properly - without magic."

Everyone nodded.

"I'll bring Hermione inside," Sally whispered, guiding her to Shell Cottage.