eight

"He's gone!" Molly shouted after Scrimgeour left

"What did he want?" Arthur asked, looking around at Harry, Ron, and Hermione as Molly came hurrying back to them.

"To give us what Dumbledore left us," said Harry. "They've only just released the contents of his will."

Outside in the garden, over the dinner tables, the three objects Scrimgeour had given them were passed from hand to hand. Everyone exclaimed over the Deluminator and The Tales of Beedle the Bard and lamented the fact that Scrimgeour had refused to pass on the sword, but none of them could offer any suggestions. Dumbledore would have left Harry an old Snitch. Arthur examined the Deluminator for the third or fourth time.

Molly tentatively said, "Harry, dear, everyone's awfully hungry, we didn't like to start without you. Shall I serve dinner now?"

They all ate rather hurriedly and then, after a hasty chorus of "Happy Birthday" and eating a lot of cake, the party broke up. Hagrid, who was invited to the wedding the following day, but was far too bulky to sleep in the overstretched Burrow, left to set up a tent for himself in a neighboring field.

"Meet us upstairs and bring the girls," Harry whispered to Hermione, while they helped Arthur restore the garden to its normal state. "After everyone's gone to bed."

Up in the attic room, Ron examined his Deluminator and Hagrid's moleskin purse that was filled with those he most prized. Some of them were the Marauder's Map, the shard of Sirius's enchanted mirror, and R.A.B.'s locket. He pulled the strings tight and slipped the purse around his neck, then sat holding the old snitch and watching its wings flutter feebly. At last, Hermione tapped on the door and tiptoed inside.

"Muffiato," she whispered, waving her wand in the direction of the stairs.

"Thought you didn't approve of that spell," Ron said.

"Times change," she replied. "Now, show us that Deluminator."

Ron obliged at once. Holding it up in front of him, he clicked it. The solitary lamp they had lit went out at once.

"The thing is," Hermione whispered in the dark, "we could have achieved that with Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder."

There was a small click, and the ball of light from the lamp flew back to the ceiling and illuminated them all once more.

"Still, it's cool," Ron defensively said. "And from what I know, Dumbledore invented it himself!"

"I know, but surely he wouldn't have singled you out in his will just to help us turn out the lights!" Hermione exclaimed.