twenty-two

Hermione knocked on the door to the room Sally was staying in

Hermione knocked on the door to the room Sally was staying in. Sally opened the door a smidge and peeked through the crack. She opened the door further and moved to the side to let Hermione in. Once she was inside the home, Sally closed the door.

"Hermione, it's nearly midnight. What are you doing in here?"

Hermione waved her hands in front of her. "I wanted to talk to you about something. It's a little awkward now that we're dating."

"You're cute when you're shy. I like it," Sally said. "Here, come sit down."

Sally led Hermione to the bed she was sleeping on. They both sat on the edge of the bed.

"What did you need to talk about?" Sally asked.

"Harry, Ron, and I have a plan to find the next Horcrux. The thing is I want you to stay here or go someplace safe."

"You're asking me to wait around while you go out there and risk your life? Absolutely not. Are you mad?"

"Sally, I realize it's a lot of me to ask for, but I need this. I want you to be safe."

"Well, what about you?" Sally retorted. "You're asking me to be safe, but not you? We're in this together. We just got together. I will not love you and force myself to wait out your demise, because that is not what people in relationships do."

Hermione gazed at Sally with a kind expression on her face. "I love you. I really do, but I can't risk your life. In the end, we will fight a battle, but right now, I need to find the rest of the Horcruxes."

Sally sighed. "I know once you put your mind to something, nothing and no one will ever stop you. Even I continue to say no, you'll go anyway, so I just want you to know one thing. I love you as well."

They both slowly leaned in, then for the first time in both of their lives, they kissed a girl.