twenty-one

Their plans and preparations were complete

Their plans and preparations were complete. There was a strand of Bellatrix's hair curled in a small glass vial on the mantelpiece.

"And you'll be using her actual wand, so I reckon you'll be pretty convincing," Harry said.

Hermione frighteningly picked it up. "I hate this thing," she said in a low voice. "I really hate it. It feels all wrong. It doesn't work properly for me... It's like a bit of her."

"It'll probably help you get in character, though. Think what that wand's done!" Ron exclaimed.

"But that's my point," she retorted. "This is the wand that tortured Neville's mum and dad, and who knows how many other people? This is the wand that killed Sirius! I miss my wand. I wish Mr. Ollivander could have made me another one too."

Ollivander had sent Luna a new wand that morning. She was out on the back lawn at that moment, testing its capabilities in the afternoon sun. Harry looked down at the hawthorn wand that had once belonged to Draco. The door of the bedroom opened and Griphook entered. Harry reached instinctively for the hilt of the sword and drew it close to him, but regretted his action at once. He could tell that the goblin had noticed.

Seeking to gloss over the sticky moment, Harry said, "We've just been checking the last-minute stuff, Griphook. We've told Bill and Fleur we're leaving tomorrow, and we've told them not to get up to see us off."

Hermione would need to transform into Bellatrix before they left, and the less that Bill and Fleur knew or suspected about what they were about to do, the better. They had also explained that they would not be returning. As they had lost Perkins's old tent on the night that the Snatchers caught them, Bill had lent them another one. It was now packed inside the beaded bag, which Hermione had protected from the Snatchers by the simple expedient of stuffing it down her sock.