seven

She dropped the syllabary onto the largest pile and picked up Hogwarts, A History

"Listen," said Harry.

Ron and Hermione looked at him with similar mixtures of resignation and defiance, while Sally and Kimberly were all ears.

"I know you said after Dumbledore's funeral that you wanted to come with me."

"Here he goes," Ron muttered, rolling eyes.

"As we knew he would," Hermione muttered, turning back to the books. "You know, I think I will take Hogwarts, A History. Even if we're not going back there, I don't think I'd feel right if I didn't have it with - "

"Listen!" Harry exclaimed.

"No, Harry, you listen," Hermione demanded. "We're coming with you. That was decided months ago."

"But - "

"Shut up," Ron advised.

"Are you sure you've thought this through?" Harry persisted.

"Let's see," said Hermione, slamming Travels with Trolls onto the discarded pile with a rather fierce look. I've been packing for days, so we're ready to leave at a moment's notice, which for your information has included doing some pretty difficult magic, not to mention smuggling Mad-Eye's whole stock of Polyjuice Potion right under Ron's mum's nose. I've also modified my parents' memories so that they re convinced they're really called Wendell and Monica Wilkins, and that their life's ambition is to move to Australia, which they have done. That's to make it more difficult for Voldemort to track them down and interrogate them about me - or you, because unfortunately, I've told them quite a bit about you. Assuming I survive the hunt for the Horcruxes, I'Il find Mum and Dad and lift the enchantment. If I don't - well, I think I've cast a good enough charm to keep them safe and happy. Wendell Monica Wilkins don't know that they've got a daughter, you see."

Hermione's eyes were swimming with tears again. Sally reached forward and hugged her. The rest of the group cleared their throats and awkwardly looked away.

"Uh - nice weather, huh?" Ron asked Kimberly.

She blushed. "Uh - yes, quite - quite nice."

Harry awkwardly shuffled around on his feet.