twenty-eight

"Come," said Voldemort

Voldemort was wearing the great snake Nagini around his shoulders.

"Harry," sobbed Hagrid. "Oh, Harry..."

"Stop."

The Death Eaters came to a halt.

"NO!" McGonagall screamed.

Ginny, Hermione, and Ron all shouted, "No!"

Sally drew Hermione into her, stopping her from doing anything rash. Hermione was utterly devastated. Harry wanted nothing more than to call back, yet he made himself lie silent, and their cries acted like a trigger. The crowd of survivors took up the cause, screaming and yelling abuse at the Death Eaters.

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort.

There was a bang and a flash of bright light, and silence was forced upon them all.

"It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs! You see?" Voldemort asked. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" Ron retorted.

Kimberly clung onto him, pleading for him to not anger Voldemort. The charm broke, and the defenders of Hogwarts were shouting and screaming again until a second, more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds, killed while trying to save himself - "

Voldemort stopped speaking. Someone had broken free of the crowd and charged at Voldemort. Voldemort threw the challenger's wand aside and laughed.

"And who is this?" he asked. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh. "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," he replied, looking down at Neville, who was struggling back to his feet, unarmed and unprotected. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?"

"So what if I am?" Neville asked.

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," Neville retorted. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was an answering cheer from the crowd, whom Voldemort's Silencing Charms seemed unable to hold.

"Very well. If that ur choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. There will be no more Sorting at Hogwarts School. There will be no more Houses. The emblem, shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won't they, Neville Longbottom?"

Voldemort pointed his wand at Neville, who grew rigid, then forced the hat onto Neville's head, so that it slipped down below his eyes. The Death Eaters raised their wands, holding the fighters of Hogwarts at bay.

"Neville here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me," said Voldemort.

With a flick of his wand, he caused the Sorting Hat to burst into flames. Screams split the dawn, and Neville was aflame, rooted to the spot, unable to move, and Harry could not bear it. He must act.

And then many things happened at the same moment. They heard an uproar from the distant boundary of the school as what sounded like hundreds of people came swarming over the out-of-sight walls and pelted toward the castle, uttering loud war cries.