chapter 8

Philip was so nervous, he kept squeezing my hand. For that I kept giving him light kisses as reassurance.  This is it we are going to Weschester to meet my family, I said it my family and he's nervous, my family don't know he's white. Not that I care about that but he's nervous for all the wrong reason, I know that I love him so they will as well, for that he had to see for himself. I drove for about an hour and a half, due to traffic. Then the moment of truth arrived, I pulled up to my mom's house in Bronxville. I held his hand and led him to the house, everyone was waiting in the living room, my mom, my three brothers,  my grandparents,  my aunt and two cousins. A lot of people wanted to meet him or give him a good warning. We were greeted with warm welcome, my brothers were more excited than I thought to meet him and so were my cousins. Everyone was stunned at first when they saw that he was white, but after ten minutes it was a thing of the past, he did get questioned thoroughly by my grandparents,  about his job, where he lives and his plans for me. I could tell he was nervous but he answered really well and they liked him. My grown brothers invited him to  play video games with them, giving me and my mom some time to talk in the kitchen.

"A white guy huh?" She nudged.

"Mom his name is Philip,"

"Sorry, Philip, he's a nice kid and to think you guys are getting married." She began to get teary eyed.

I roll my eyes at her.

"Ma, your so dramatic,"

"You're my only girl and your getting married, " she replied

"I don't know yet, I heard his family is racist, I haven't met them yet."

My mom rolls her eyes,"this is 2014, if they can't see pass skin then there is no point in them being around anyone."

"Don't say that." I said

"No I mean skin is skin we can't change that but they can change how they think, its a shame."

I nodded in agreement.

The rest of the day went by smoothly,  we all sat and Philip had for the first time a good Jamaican meal, my family loved him and skin wasn't going to change that.

We rode back in silence, this time Philip driving, he looked over at me and notice I wasn't paying attention.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded but not being convincing.

"Remember we promised to be open with each other?"

"You met my family and they love you, I don't know about yours,  you know them and they won't like me at all."

"Ally you need to stop worrying,  they are my parents but they dont make my life or determine what I do." He assured me.

" Easy for you to say."

I looked out the window.

We arrived home but the mood wasn't onw of happiness instead was filled with tension, I was going to meet his parents and I don't know how it is going to go. I lay on the bed, I felt as Philip came and lay behind me putting his arm around my waist, I like the warmth of his body.

"Please don't go to bed angry."

I turned facing him, looking into is blue eyes, how could I stay mad at that face.

"Am not, just nervous."

"Don't be I will always love you."

I gave him one long last kiss before we go to bed.