||74||

Edited: 03/06/24

Reuploaded: 06/06/24

° ❄️ °

"Ze?" I asked, "why're you here?"

"I moved here," Zethran gave a swift shrug as Tsunade stood up.

"We'll talk more when you're free from this stuffy hospital room," she told me before leaving with Shizune close behind.

"You... moved here?" I repeated. The idea of another l/n living here was just crazy, not only that but one who was so highly thought of back on the guardian mountain.

"Wow, you're not happy your big cousin is adding to the l/n clan's numbers?" Zethran asked pretty dramatically, everyone who hadn't met him before just gawked at him as Shikamaru glared at him and he glared right back.

"Well, I am but... why?" I asked, pulling Shikamaru out of his line of sight, but immediately regretting it as a wave of pain rocketed through my body quickly.

"Because of this," he gestured to me.

"You just gestured to all of me," I sighed.

"Yes because you're a tragic mess and Dad wants me to watch over you," he replied before looking at Shikamaru, "and that means I'm not letting you vultures get even within five feet of her."

Shikamaru moved in front of him, and they started staring each other down, it was amusing because Shikamaru was smaller than Zethran by a few feet, so he was looking up at him.

"Don't be so stupid," I said but they continued, this time starting to talk to each other. Over and over I told them to stop it, everyone was just watching, not noticing when I forced myself to get out of bed and walking over to them, before pushing them away from each other and standing on extremely shaky legs before kicking them out of the room.

"Y/n, back into bed," Kakashi told me as he helped me back to the bed.

"Please all of you leave, I have things to think about," I told them, they all nodded and left the room. Well, Kiba waited as Akamaru jumped onto my bed and curled up next to me, refusing to leave.

"Mind if he stays?" Kiba asked, "I've never seen him so protective around someone before."

I smiled.

"He can stay," I nodded, Kiba waved and then left. Suddenly the room was silent, just the sound of the machine next to me beeping, Akamaru snoring lightly (that was quick) and then my breathing.

My life is going to get difficult now. Zethran's living here now, he clearly really doesn't like Shikamaru, and I'm getting the feeling that the feeling is mutual, then there's the Akatsuki and the bounty on my head.

I wish I could talk to my Dad.

He'll know what to do.

For now... I might as well rest enough so I can get out of here quicker.

°❄️°

"Y/n, wake up," I heard a familiar voice echo around me. The feeling of grass swaying around me, tickled my bare arms as I opened my eyes to come face to face with...

"Asuma?" I questioned, sitting up. He smiled. Not only was he there but my Dad and Jiraiya were too.

"What's... going on?" I asked, "did I die or something? Damn—looks like the l/n healing jutsu is shit, ey?"

The three men laughed at me as Asuma hoisted me to my feet.

"No, no, no," Jiraiya shook his head, "we came to see you. You're having troubles."

"So it's a dream?" I asked, they shared a look before shrugging.

"It's whatever you want it to be," my Dad answered before walking forward and engulfing me into a tight hug. It felt real. Like he was really there, hugging me. He let me go but kept his hands firmly on my shoulders.

"You want advice. It was as clear as the sky to us," he told me, pointing up to the cloudless pale blue sky.

"Yeah..." I nodded, "I don't know what to do."

They looked at me worried.

"First off, don't push anyone away," Asuma started the list even though they didn't know what I was contemplating, "especially not Shikamaru or Kurenai. I won't forgive you if you do."

Jeez.

"Next thing, don't blame yourself," Jiraiya continued, "our deaths, they weren't your fault at all. F/n died protecting the Snowflake Guardian's scroll as the previous scroll keeper. Asuma died protecting his village and comrades while also trying to bring his friends body back to be buried respectfully. I died alongside one of my favourite partners, I died fighting for our village, fighting to get information, anything that could prevent it's downfall for at least a little longer. Fighting to make sure my forever long crush's Goddaughter didn't die, not only because of that but because she was and is a great comrade."

"Finally," my Dad started, "the Snowflake Guardians, you don't have to devote everything to them. But the village, you live there, you're a ninja there, your life is part of the village. If you're going to devote your life to someone, devote it to the village, your family, your friends, the people you know, or will come to know."

"Because life is a never-ending cycle of meeting and losing people," I said, remembering the words Honoko told me, my Dad nodded.

"Exactly," he poked me in between my eyebrows with his index finger and smiled, "remember, the people who're around you care. They want you to be fine, no, alive. If you died, I think you would bring the whole village's spirit down. All you can do is wear a smile and walk around confidently. Don't let your problems pull you down because, y/n, you're a strong girl with incredible abilities."

"We all know that Naruto, Shikamaru, Kurenai, Asuma's future son or daughter, are all safe as long as you're there," Jiraiya told me, resting a comforting hand on my shoulder like he always did when we saw a Akatsuki scarred village.

I nodded.

"I think I've got it," I noted, they all smiled and then everything disappeared.

I opened my eyes to be greeted with the ceiling of the hospital, Akamaru curled up at my feet and Shikamaru sleeping by my side.

I smiled and touched his hair, how the hell does it keep standing like this?

"They're right. I need to put everything behind me, the past is the past, the future is something I need to focus on along with the safety of this village," I whispered as Shikamaru started to stir.

His eyes opened slowly, and he sleepily smiled at me before taking my hand from his hair and kissing it.

"Please don't ever leave me again," he whispered, it was so quiet that I almost missed it. But after hearing it, I knew no matter what, Shikamaru is always going to be there. If I lost him too... I don't know what I'd ever do... Would there even be a reason to live?