fifteen.

x

-flashback two years ago- 

Troye was standing in front of the mirror yet again but instead of several servants tending to him it was only one, it was Rose. She was fixing the lapels of his jacket smiling at him in the mirror. Troye noticed and looked over his shoulder at her. 

"What are you smiling about Rose?" 

She giggles. "You of course," She says. "I have never seen you so happy... it's because of that common boy I assume."

"Oh hush Rose," Troye says. "I'm still your prince." He says in a joking manor. 

Rose chuckles as Troye turns to her. "Well excuse your highness," She says bowing. "He must really make you happy." 

"I feel like I can be myself with him," Troye says. "I don't feel like a prisoner to English court, he doesn't see me as a prince or someone with a title... I'm just Troye Sivan Mellet."

Rose tilts her head. "You love him don't you."

"I do," Troye said. "I made a promise to my mother. I'd marry for love," He chuckles. "I just wish I could marry a man without getting hanged for it."

Rose was about to say something but the door opened. The young servant quickly jumped back and bowed as Troye's dad walked in. "Your majesty." She says. 

"Could you leave us the room." Shaun said his eyes not leaving Troye. 

Rose quickly nodded her head. She gave a side eye to Troye before quickly heading out of the room. Troye sighed as he looked into the mirror. "Father." He said. 

"Troye," He says. "How are you son?"

The young prince looked up at his father in the mirror, an eyebrow raised. "Since when do you care father."

He shrugs. "I've always cared," He said but anyone could tell he was lying. "Especially since you've been getting close with a common boy."

Troye clenched his jaw as he turned around. "I have no idea what you're talking about." 

Shaun knocked over something and stormed up to Troye, grabbed his collar and pulled him up so that they were at eye level. Pure terror shown on Troye's face as he looked down at his father. 

"You know how I feel about lying boy," Shaun say. "And you know how I feel about common people." He throws Troye to the ground. 

Troye crawled backwards until his back was pressed against the wall. "Fath-." Troye was quickly cut off with a slap in the face harsh enough to draw blood from his lip. 

The young prince grabs the side of his face and look at his father, eye glistening with tears. "Have you any decency," He says. "Any respect for our country... the English court!" 

With shaky knees Troye stood up and wiped the blood from his lip. "Have you any respect for me," Troye says. "All you care about it your country! To hell with me and mother as long as your precious court is amazing."

"I will not have you make a mockery of this family in the eyes of the Vatican because you want to court and man, you can get yourself hanged for such thoughts." 

Troye scoffs. "I'd rather be dead than a prisoner here."

Shaun slaps Troye again and put his finger in his face. "You will not see that boy again... in fact," He says. "I'll make sure you forget everything."

Troye had forgotten he was crying until he realized how blurry his vision was getting, but he refused to let his father see him crying so he quickly wiped his face and took a deep voice steadying his voice. "What are you talking about."

He smiled. "You'll see," He says. "But first we'll start with that servant girl you're fond of so much... Rosemary isn't it?" 

Troye clenched his jaw. "What are you talking about, what are you going to do to her."

The king tapped his chin as if he was thinking of how to punish her. "Hanged for treason against her king..." He says in a dreamy tone. "I think that will suit her."

"Treason!" Troye yelled. "She's done nothing wrong, there is now proof to hang her."

Shaun laughed. "I'm king, I not need reason to hang someone, it will go unquestioned."

Before Troye was able to utter out another rebuttal Shaun left humming to himself happily. Once the door was locked Troye looked back at his freshly made mirror and punched it screaming as he did shattering the mirror into pieces. The second he did the door opened again and his mother quickly rushed into the room and squatted down in front of her son. 

"Tok..." Laurelle said taking out a cloth and tending to her sons bleeding hand. "You shouldn't be doing this to yourself, what in the heavens is wrong with you."

Troye looked up at his mother. "He-he found out about Ja-Jacob," He said. 

"Troye..."

The young prince pointed at his lip and the side of his face which was swelling slightly. "Look-look what he did to me," He said. "He tol-told me he was going to get-get Rose hanged Mama."

Laurelle sighed as she stood up and sat down next to her son. She wrapped her arm around his shoulder and pulled him closer. Troye let out a shaky breath as he rested his head on her shoulder. "My beautiful boy," She says her voice full of guilt. "I wish you were born in time where you didn't have to be troubled like this." 

Troye sniffed. He wanted to ask his mother to talk to his father about all of this but he knew that his mother was just as much as a prisoner as she is. Troye knew how much his mom wished she could help but, the most she could do was hold him and try to tell him that everything would be alright. 

"Do you think there will be a time that won't be as troubled as this Mama?" Troye says. 

Laurelle kisses the top of his head. "Only one can hope tok," She says.

"Only one can hope." 

x