Chapter Five

My gang and I were taken aback by the disturbing news. It was so disgusting that I had to keep myself from gagging.

"Hold it," Jim said. "Why did you say our last names? We obviously know them."

Jenny slapped his arm, but not hard. "Have you forgotten?" she said. "We are fictional characters in a fictional town, and our fellow readers did not know who we are until now. Our brilliant writer did not mention our last names when we were introduced, so she told her fans at the end."

Jim crossed his arms and stepped up to her. "I would never forget the most important truth in my life. That we are fictional. I was just wondering. Jeez. How was I supposed to know that real worlders are reading this book?"

Jenny opened her mouth and was about to say poor choice of words, when Ash cut in.

"Please. Do not mention the term 'real worlders.' It sickens me, and I prefer to forget about them."

"Our apologies, miss," Sue apologized for all of us.

"No need to apologize. It is not your guys' fault." She was twirling a shiny, black pen between her fingers and jotted down something on a yellow piece of paper. "My court and I will discuss banning that term later today." She got up from her chair and went in front of her desk. She rested her palms on top of the desk and leaned back. "I cannot believe that the main characters from the first six books were murdered last night."

"Pardon me?" I said. "Do you mean...Margie Morgan, Nigel Sanders, Hansel and Gretel Mason, Jorgie Special, and Eleanor Pier?"

She slowly nodded. "Those are the ones. They were found last night by Cassandra and Kathy."

Cassandra Cakes and Kathy Miles are secret agents who also assist Ash.

"You can bring them back? Right?" Jane questioned.

"You mean reviving." She pushed herself away from the desk. "I can absolutely do that. I thought of them. I am in charge of who dies and does not. And I made it clear a long time ago that no Forlot characters will pass. They will all survive."

"We are blessed to have a writer like you," Billy complimented. "We cannot thank you enough for what you have done."

She smiled a little and grabbed her purse that was on the desk. "You already have done enough. More than what the real worlders did." She swung the purse over her shoulder. "Follow me."

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To the scene of the crime."

We exited...

Wait a second. My writer completely forgot to describe Jenny in the last chapter. She is sometimes lazy.

No offense, Ash.

Jenny had long, brown hair tied in a ponytail, same as Jane's, and wore a green, short-sleeved shirt and purple pants with white shoes.

There. I did my writer's job for her.

We exited her house and walked through the grass and to the back. The boys and I gasped, and the girls shrieked.

You always wish that you would never encounter one or more dead bodies.

The bodies of the main characters were stacked on top of each other. Eleanor was at the bottom. Then Jorgie. Then Gretel. Then Hansel. Margie and Nigel were at the top...

...and holding hands.

The ship is real. But please! Do not ship them.

There were three other people by the bodies. Cassandra, Kathy, and Libby.

Libby Vortex works with Cassandra and Kathy and is a scientist. She wore a lab coat and a black skirt with low heels. Her brown hair was in a bun, and she had on glasses.

Libby was on her knees and examining the bodies, and Kathy was only on one knee and taking notes.

Cassandra noticed us. "Guys!" She ran up to Ash and hugged her. "Thank goodness that you could come."

"They are my fictional characters," our writer explained. "I would not miss it for the world."

Cassandra pulled away and motioned for us to come close to the bodies. "Each of them was stabbed in the stomach before midnight. But we do not know who is responsible."

"Let me check them out." She slowly and carefully strolled towards the dead bodies and got down on her knees. She set her purse on the grass and ran a hand over their clothes. "This has Ava written all over."

"How do you know?" Jenny asked.

"The word 'Ava' is literally written on all six of their chests." She stood back up. "I will go see Ava and have a word with her. But first..." She shut her eyes.

In a matter of seconds, the bodies gasped for air and moved.

"Woah!" Margie and Nigel toppled over.

I let out a sigh of relief. They were okay now.

Ash opened her eyes. "Margie, Nigel, Hansel, Gretel, Jorgie, Eleanor. It is me. Your writer."

The main characters groaned, and Libby, Cassandra, and Kathy helped them up.

"Who did this to you?" Libby demanded. "Who stabbed you all to death?"

"Wait. We were stabbed?!" Margie said.

"Yes, but you are alright now," Ash reassured her and the others. "But who killed you? Ava?"

"Ava?" Hansel repeated her name. He shook his head. "Some guy named George Parks."