Chapter Thirty-Six

In the police station in the next town over, Dr. Maxwell was standing by a front desk and signing his signature on a piece of paper. When he was finished, he handed it to the officer and clicked the pen.

The officer, who happened to be a sergeant, was at the front desk and took the paper from him. He examined it closely.

"Nice handwriting," the sergeant complimented.

"Thank you," Dr. Maxwell thanked, smirking. "I was taught."

"It is marvelous. Most people in this town do not do their signature justice or just scribble it."

"Hehe. Where I come from is a small place that bans inappropriate movies and other content and where all the townsfolk are Christians."

The sergeant blinked once, feeling surprised. "Oh. Really?"

"Really. However, we might be getting a new mayor who would change all that."

"Interesting. What is his or her name?"

"Her full name is Hayley Taylor. Although, she prefers to be called Ms. Hayley Taylor."

"A catchy name. What changes will she take into account?"

The scientist tapped his fingers on the desk. "I am not sure. I try to not involve myself in politics. I may be that guy, but I am not...that kind of guy."

"I respect your opinions. I, however, feel that it is necessary to have politics. They have helped us."

He muttered to himself. "And ripped citizens apart. Literally."

The officer overheard him, but did not catch the exact words. "Pardon me?"

"I am sorry to bring this up, but..." He lowered his voice. "...during an election, two men were involved in a fight and ended up losing both of their arms."

He rubbed his chin. "That happened?"

"The media managed to cover it up."

"Well, how do you know?"

"There is no such thing as social media in my town, so it was easy for anyone in my town to find that out."

"That is..." He set down the paper. "...interesting."

"I would be happy to print out the article and bring it to you if you do not believe me."

"No, no. I believe you. Just like I believe that you did not shoot the poor boy, Caleb Night. Now why do you not go out and enjoy the rest of your freedom?"

"Thanks. I will, Officer."

Dr. Maxwell waved goodbye and opened the door. He stepped outside, taking in whiffs of the fresh air.

"Ah. What a beautiful day in this town. Everything is normal. A regular sky. Blue. Cut grass that is aligned perfectly. The gorgeous sun shining down on us townsfolk. On me." He chuckled darkly. "I could stay here for a while to plan my next attack. I will need to get in contact with Oberious."

He lifted up his foot and was about to take a step on the road, for he desired to walk across the street, when a car came zooming down and halted right next to him, making a screeching noise in the process.

Dr. Maxwell was, of course, startled by this, and grabbed ahold of his lab coat. His heart began beating rapidly, which never did that before. This might come as a surprise to you, but this was the first time that he had ever felt like this. Like the whole world collapsing on him. He was always and usually steps ahead.

He released his grip on his lab coat and growled. "You fool!" he called the driver. "How dare you! You nearly ran me over! Nearly gave me a heart attack!"

The scientist squinted through the passenger window of the blue car and spotted a person in the driver's seat. He realized that it was a girl and recognized her.

"Cindy. I should have known."

Cindy opened the driver's door and got out of the car. When she took a glance at Dr. Maxwell, her eyebrows narrowed, and her blank expression changed to a scowl. She shut her door and opened another door that led to the backseat. She unbuckled Cal's seatbelt and picked him up.

"You lied, bad lady," Cal said. "Mommy was not in your car."

She brushed his tender hair. "I told you on the way here. Your mommy is in the car. She is just invisible."

"Why?"

"Experiment gone wrong." She strolled to the scientist.

"Then why was she not talking to me?" He teared up. "Is she mad at me?"

"No. She was playing a game with you. The Silent Treatment."

"Oh. I get it!"

Dr. Maxwell was ticked. "You idiot girl! You could have killed me!"

Cindy gave him a sickening glare. "What the heck?"

"What the heck does that mean? Have you not seen people casually walking across the street?"

"Of course. But I wanted to make sure that you did not get out of my sight."

"Why? 'Cause you see me leaving the police station? So you can turn me in? Well, I have news for you. There was no sufficient evidence that I shot your puny boyfriend."

She became even angrier and wanted to slug him for calling Caleb puny. "I want to know how. How could they not find any proof that you did it? I was told by useful resources that you were caught by the school with a gun."

He shrugged. "That does not prove anything."

"You were on the ground and on your back! You had your gun out!"

He chuckled and licked his lips. "My lips are dry. Anyway, let us say that lying about the truth and paying handsomely come easy to me."

"You fiend!"

"Bad lady, I want ice cream!" Cal whined.

"Who is the kid?" Dr. Maxwell asked. "Wait. Did you and Caleb...?"

"No! It...it is Caleb and Ava's kid."

"Ava? Ava Campbell?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"This means...that this child is my grandson."

"...excuse me?"

"I created Ava, Slapi, and Eleanor. They are my children, and seeing that he is Ava's son, he is my grandson."

Cindy's eyes grew. "That is it. I am out."