Chapter Thirty-Eight

Our writer seemed puzzled. "Caleb?" She then looked as if she were thinking. And she was.

"What are you talking about, Caleb?" I asked as I sat down with my gang. "What do you mean?"

"I...I did it," he confessed. "I was the one who pushed the button."

Because of his leg being in a cast, he was unable to stand properly and started sliding down. He would have tumbled to the floor if Jenny had not reacted quickly and helped him back up.

She wrapped an arm around him, letting him lean against her. "Are you okay, Caleb?"

How come she never asked me if I was okay?

"It is my fault. All of it. I am sorry that I put you all through this mess. I know that I should have told you earlier - earlier than this - but I was scared."

"And you are not scared now?" Scott questioned him.

"Oh, no. I am deeply terrified."

"Well, confessing something that you did...that takes a ton of courage."

"Oh, I do not have any courage. I was born without it. I am only confessing because I want to do what is right."

Jenny gently played with his hair.

Okay. The words 'Jenny' and 'gently' should not be in the same sentence.

"But Caleb..." she began. "...you could not have pressed the button. It had to be a cunning, deceitful, wicked, evil, lying sack of crub, and that is not you."

Caleb gulped. "I am responsible, but it was an accident. I swear."

"Hmm." Ash was rubbing her chin. "I knew it."