Chapter Twenty-Four

Katrina was not in complete shock at first. She thought that Ava was playing a joke on her and laughed. Besides, she knew that Ava knew that she never desired to have kids, and that was obvious because she hated her nephew and niece, Hansel and Gretel.

"Ha! Good one!" Katrina slapped her knee. "You were always excellent with jokes and still are to this very day."

Ava did not understand what she meant. She knew for sure that her "joke" was actually the truth.

"You probably did not hear me correctly," Ava said. "I specifically told you that this boy whose name is Bobby..." She motioned to the young boy who was holding hands with her. "...is your biological son."

Katrina's smile and confidence instantly faded. She put the pieces together, seeing the serious look plastered on her friend's face and hearing what she told her once again, and realized that she was telling the truth.

"You...are not playing with me. Are you?"

She snickered. "Why would I joke at a touching moment like this? Bobby gets to finally meet his real mother and possibly now his father."

It was hard for Katrina to take that fact in. She had to take off her glasses, rub her eyes, and put her glasses back on. "So...you created a kid for me. For me and Benny."

"Precisely. That is what friends do. We are friends, are we not?"

"F-friends...do not make children for a man and a woman who do not want to be together!"

"Whoa. I thought that you would be happy. Hmm. Perhaps your new daughter will better for you because you obviously hate your own son."

"I do not hate my son! I mean, I do! I mean...I despise children!"

"Oh, I know that deeply. You keep repeating how your niece and nephew drive you crazy."

She pointed an accusing finger at Ava. "The real question is are you crazy?!"

"I hope so. It is in my character info."

"Ugh!" She placed her palms on the sides of her head and spun around, her back now facing Ava. "Why do you not put your trust in me?"

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Our plan to take over this town. That is our ultimate plan. But before we can carry that out, we need for Lean to leave us be. We have to throw off suspicion."

"And I am way ahead of you."

Katrina turned back to her. "Forget about your plan! It is too risky! Let us do mine."

"I could not agree with you more."

She narrowed her eyebrows. "...huh?"

Katrina was both shocked and confused. Usually, Ava would desire things and events going her way. She did not like when someone felt like that he or she had a higher power than her. She would even go as far as to kill people who stood in her way.

But that is not surprising, is it?

"You...agree with my plan?" Katrina questioned.

"Every step of the way," Ava replied, smirking.

"...are you Ava? Or someone pretending to be like her?"

"You nitwit. Nobody - absolutely nobody - can copy me and my good looks. Need I remind you that I have different colored eyes. One that is blue, and one that is red."

"Oh. Right." She rubbed the back of her neck. "You would probably not believe that I am still not used to your red eye. How did you get the red eye anyway?"

"I will tell you later. Now is not the time. We have to move along with your little plan."

"Of course. Shall I give you it in full detail?"

"No need. You practically blabbered it over the phone, which gives me enough to work with. Your marriage with Benny will be fake, and once we are through with him, you will kill him."

"Dang. You really are good at the guessing."

She giggled darkly. "I am Ava Campbell. The best fictional villain ever."

"How right you are."

"Mommy?" Bobby said, referring to Ava and pointing at Katrina. "Who is that lady?"

Ava looked down at Bobby. "Honey? How many times do I have to tell you? I am not your mommy. I am your aunt." She let go of his hand and pointed at his biological mother. "That there is your mommy."

"Really?"

"Really."

"But she is ugly. Not at all pretty like you."

Katrina gasped and would have been offended if being offended was not illegal in Forlot. "Hey!"

"But she loves you, Bobby. She is lonely. So sad. You are what she needs to fill up that empty space that is inside of her."

Of course, that was a lie. Katrina was glad to be alone.

Well, sort of.

Bobby teared up, for he felt sorry for his biological mom. "Mommy? I mean, Auntie? Will you still be in my life? I love you."

Ava patted the top of his head. "You can bet on that."

"Yay!" The young child ran up to Katrina and hugged her. "Mommy!"

Katrina was a bit surprised by the child's hug, and glanced at her friend, and then back at him.

Bobby was smiling and tightened his hug on her. "Mommy? Where is my daddy?"

Katrina opened her mouth to speak, but Ava beat her to it.

"You will meet your daddy hopefully soon. In fact, he and your mommy will be getting married."

He jumped up and down. "Yay! Mommy and Daddy are getting married! Can I be in your wedding?"

"Uh...we will see," Katrina said. She did not exactly know what to say to him. Her son!

Just then, a young girl came scurrying into the room. Her name was Kat, and she was also Katrina's kid.

"Mommy?" Kat said, cheeriness in her voice.

Katrina let out a sigh. "I am here. Mommy is right here."

The girl squealed excitedly, ran up to her, and hugged her.

There was no turning back now.