Chapter Twenty-Two

Libby ignored Jorgie's question and watched with excitement as the beams of white light lifted the girls up high. The main characters were unaware of what was going on, but the young scientist knew. She had been waiting for this moment for three years.

"It is working," Libby said just above a whisper. "She is coming."

Margie, Nigel, and Hansel ran up to Libby and were desperate to get some answers as to what was occurring.

"Like what Jorgie said, what is happening?!" Margie demanded. She was afraid that any of the three girls would be harmed.

Libby giggled. It was neither a chilling nor a cheerful giggle. Just...not pleasant. After all, she was not an evil person. She just had her own opinions that needed to be shared.

"It is working," she told the other main characters, adjusting her glasses.

"What is working?" Nigel asked.

"She...is coming."

"Who is coming? Who?!" Hansel snapped. "And will they be alright? Especially my twin sister?"

"Of course. They will definitely be okay. That is...if she comes."

At this point, Margie was frustrated and starting to not trust Libby. She remembered when she, Nigel, Hansel, and Gretel gave in to Ava, and you fans know where that led to.

But she had it all wrong. Libby was nothing like Ava. There was not even a similarity between the two. Libby just desired to see an old friend. A friend whom she lost, and this was the only way.

"Who are you talking about?" Margie said angrily. "Does this 'she' have a name?"

"Oh, yes. Her name is Shelly."

Hansel raised an eyebrow. "Shelly? Shelly who?"

"Our Shelly. She is known as the firstborn Lubriem."

The word 'Lubriem' struck Margie, Nigel, and Hansel. They were more than familiar with that word. Lubriem.

"I hope that you know what a Lubriem is," the young scientist continued. "Our fellow readers know the definition."

The Monster Protector pointed a finger at Hansel. "Hansel and his sister, Gretel, mentioned that word."

"Oh?"

Bits of sweat poured from Hansel's forehead. Though, he was not nervous. "Y-yeah. My sister and I found some papers, some documents, about the Lubriem at...our old house."

"Hmm. Interesting. You should know that Shelly, the firstborn Lubriem, is a big deal here in Forlot."

"Why?" Nigel asked.

"A Lubriem is a person from the real world who believes that fictional characters and fictional things exist. They start as pathetic real worlders and slowly realize that they would rather be with the fictional than with the real. They officially become a true Lubriem when they choose fictional characters over real worlders, meaning that they choose us fabulous beings over their family and friends."

Margie placed her hands on her hips. "That is cruel. I mean, choosing people who do not even know you over the people who either raised you or have been there for you."

Libby giggled again. "Actually, Lubriems do not need to worry about that. They have little to no friends, and everyone, including their parents, who are in their lives hate Lubriems and shame that upon them. And you know why? 'Cause they are real worlders." Her face went from happy to angry when she said the term "real worlders."

The beams began flickering and soon slowly faded. Gretel, Eleanor, and Jorgie floated back down and landed safely.

Jorgie was back in her wheelchair and rubbed her forehead, as if she had a headache. "Oh..." she groaned. "...that was weird."

Libby smiled once again. "But you did it. You brought her. She would be proud."

Gretel and Eleanor sat up, and Gretel reached for her necklace, but did not feel it.

She was not wearing it.

"Huh?" She glanced at her hand that once contained the other necklace. The one that really belonged to her. But it was not in her grasp.

Eleanor and Jorgie did not have their necklaces either.

"Where are the cross necklaces?" Eleanor wondered.

The scientist pointed up. "Up there."

All of them looked up at the sight. The four cross necklaces were floating in the air. They formed a circle and began spinning. Around and around.

"She is coming," Libby told them. "Here she comes."

The spinning came to a halt, and there were no longer four necklaces. Instead, there was one. A new cross necklace. A gray, bigger cross with a huge, purple jewel in the middle. It was tied to a string and looked absolutely stunning.

Libby squealed. "That is her cross. That is her necklace!"

The necklace floated down and stopped. Blue flashes were forming around it, and a person appeared. A girl who was now wearing the cross necklace.

It was her. It was the Lubriem!

But at the same time...it was not her.

The Lubriem was all blue. Her skin. Her clothes. She was also disfigured and glitching, as she were a hologram, so you could not see what she exactly looked like or wore.

"My Lubriem!" Libby cried. She ran up to her and hugged her. "I-I know that it is not really you, but..."

The disfigured girl spoke. "Libby?"

"Yes. It is me." She pulled away. "You know...you do not have to do this."

"Do what? Doing my job?"

"Becoming the Lubriem. I...I know that it will be hard. The real worlders will turn against you because you are not what society demands you to be."

"But I want to be the Lubriem! I have to!"

"You do not have to, Shelly. It is your choice."

"Then I...I choose to be the Lubriem! To be the firstborn!"

"What about the real worlders? Your family? Your friends?"

"What family and friends? They all hate me."

The young scientist was tearing up. "You are wonderful. A beautiful Lubriem. I am glad that you are standing up for us."

"As am I."

Proof! went the blue girl, and Libby faced the main characters.

"That was our last conversation...before she was killed."