Chapter One

The summer of 2017 was when Ash J. graduated from high school, and she could not be happier. No more homework. No more cold lunchrooms. Definitely no more studying and wasting her time memorizing things that were useless for her.

Okay. That last sentence only applies to math.

Ash was excited to graduate after many years of pure torture. She was so excited that there was no need for her to go to college. She already knew what she wanted to do. It was God's calling.

She was going to a be a writer.

Not your average writer. A writer who understands fictional characters and stands by them. Her books would be so interesting and enjoyable that people of all generations and ages would do anything - well, not exactly anything - to buy all the copies.

She did not mind if she did not make much money. She did not care if her books became famous or not.

Actually...she did care if they became famous.

Now, you may be saying, "I knew that was coming. Everybody wants to be famous."

Excuse you. Ash is not everybody.

She does not want to be famous in any way. She does not want to get a lot of attention. Or any attention for that matter.

Why? That is a simple answer to a simple question.

You see, Ash barely had any friends when she was in elementary, middle, and high school. I mean, she had friends, especially one close friend - you know who you are - but it was too late. The damage had already been done.

It all began in elementary school. She had plenty of friends, however, by the time that she and her classmates were leaving for middle school, those friends of hers were "gone." Like...she could not recognize them anymore.

In middle school, she easily made new friends, and they were all good to her. However, they did not hang out with her as much as with the other kids, and this was not because she was the new kid. Unsurprisingly, it was because she was quiet and kept to herself. But that was not entirely her fault.

When her parents first enrolled her in school, the teachers made it crystal clear that there was to be no talking in class unless they are called on. Ash did not desire to get in trouble with the teachers, so she took it to the next level. She hardly talked at school.

High school got better - and worse. She had her ups and downs. But it was not until the end of eleventh grade that Ash realized that she was destined for something greater. A goal that no real worlder would ever think of doing.

She was already favoring the fictional world over the real world, and by the time that she was in twelfth grade, it came to a point that she preferred fictional characters over real worlders. She chose fictional over real.

Right now, you are probably saying, "What the heck? Why?" Easy.

'Cause fictional characters are more trustworthy than most real worlders!

Ask any person who loves fictional characters that, and they will tell you the same thing!

Besides choosing fiction over the real world, Ash also had made up many decisions.

Own a house? No. Houses cost too much, and you have to mow and take care of your lawn.

Get married? Nope! She is against marriage.

Have kids? Definitely not! She thinks - or knows - that she would have difficultly in taking care of them.

Will she at least have a boyfriend? No! She is single and plans to be until the day she dies.

Boring, right? I mean, what would Ash do with her life? Well, she will be a writer who stands by fictional characters no matter what. And may I remind you that the real world is boring. The term 'real' means 'boring'!

Ash was in her room and looking in her mirror. She was at her parents' house and getting ready to leave their place forever.

And the real world forever.

She was going to her hometown. Forlot. The real worlders had enough with her, and she had enough with them, even though that almost all of them loved her and her Forlot books. But she did not care, for she knew that they did not believe what she believed.

She had on a blonde wig and was angling it just right.

"There. Perfect."

She straightened out the clothes that she was wearing, a gray, short-sleeved shirt and gray pants and put on a pair of sunglasses.

"This disguise is brilliant! I just hope that none of my fans will recognize me."

It was a bit chilly outside, so she slipped on her tennis shoes and purple jacket. She shoved up the handle of her suitcase and glanced around her room one last time, making absolute sure that everything was packed. She then swung her black purse over her shoulder and dragged her suitcase down the hall and to the front door. Her mom and dad were there, waiting for her.

"I am so proud of you!" the mother exclaimed with tears in her eyes. "You grew up so fast." She hugged her daughter.

"Yeah," the father said. "It is about time that you were moving out of our home."

Ash hugged her mom back and quickly pulled away. "I have found my calling," she said to them. "I am going places." She hugged her dad.

Her mom wiped away a tear. "Promise us that you will visit often."

"As best as I can, yes."

She ended the hug with her dad, and all three said their goodbyes as she opened the door and left. Her parents did not question her disguise, for they knew that she did not want to get attention when she reached the airport.

But there was one thing that she never admitted to them.

She would never visit them. 'Cause she would never return.