Chapter Thirty

I took a step towards Caleb and was in disbelief, as if I had seen a ghost. "C-Caleb? What are you doing here? C-Cindy told us that you were in the hospital."

"She was correct. I was in the hospital," Caleb responded. "But my doctors released me yesterday."

"Cindy said that you were in a coma!" Jenny exclaimed furiously.

"She was right about that too. It is a miracle that I woke up."

In a flash, Jenny ran up to him, gripped his arms, and shook him. Not hard though. "Caleb, listen to me. Your girlfriend is not what she seems."

He was confused. As he should have been. "I asked her firsthand if she was an alien, and she said that she was a human like me. So she is what she seems."

Jenny looked as if she lost some brain cells. "No, no, no! That is not what I mean. Not even close. Your 'girlfriend' is actually Ava Campbell."

His eyes widened when he heard that name. Ava Campbell. His eyes then went from side to side, and he began sweating.

"A-Ava Campbell?! The Name That You Should Never Say?"

"...yes."

"So she is Cindy?! I have been dating Ava all along?!"

"No! I mean that Cindy is somewhat like Ava! Manipulating!"

He let out a scream that belonged to a little girl. "Ah!" He grasped his shirt. "My...my heart..." Then he fainted and fell on his back.

"Jenny! You know that he has anxiety problems!" Sue reminded her. "If you wanted to tell him the truth about Cindy, then you should have done it with a low and calming tone. You are not supposed to yell at the top of your lungs at him and give him unclear answers!"

"What the crub is going on here?"

We turned in the direction of that voice, and my gang and became surprised.

There was Cindy. Standing in the doorway. And she did not look pleased.

"Can anyone explain to me what the panicking is all about?" she spoke. "I can hear you on the sixth floor!"

"Cindy..." I paused to find the right words to say. "...why are you here? In the surveillance room? And where is Ms. Hayley Taylor?"

"She came to search for sufficient evidence that could used in the case, and Ms. Hayley Taylor is probably searching in another room," Jenny mumbled under her breath, even though that I overheard her clearly.

"We will not have to worry about Ms. Hayley Taylor," Cindy admitted. She seemed sad. "Not anymore."

"Why? Did something happen to her?" Jane wondered.

"I do not even know why we are communicating with her," Jenny said. It was louder this time so everyone could hear. "She betrayed us!"

"Excuse me? I betrayed you? I killed her. I killed Ms. Hayley Taylor."

"You...killed...her?" Jim said slowly. "But...we listened to you and saw you leave with her. You were happy to go behind our writer's back."

"I lied to her. I would never stab Ash in the back." Her eyes landed on Caleb, and she gasped. "Caleb!" She hurried over to him, got on her knees, and held him close. "My dear Caleb..."

Jenny scoffed. "I find that hard to believe. Nothing gets past Hayley. Not even lies."

She stroked her boyfriend's hair and lifted her head up to us. "It did work, and I never betrayed you. I was always on your side. If you still do not believe me, you may go to the room where there is acid. Ms. Taylor's body is floating on the acid. She is dead for good."

I had no doubts that she was telling the truth. I believed her fully. Was it her tame voice? Her face? Her claims? I do not know. I just knew for sure that she was no traitor.

The floor was black, and the walls were red. There was a computer in the corner, and Margie, Nigel, Hansel, and Gretel went over to it. Margie sat in the only chair that was available and turned on the computer, while the other three surrounded her and watched.

"We are sorry," I apologized to Cindy. "We should have known better."

She gently rubbed Caleb's stomach. "No need to be sorry. If somebody were to do the same to me, I would think the same."

"We are just glad that you were not serious in helping Hayley," Jane remarked. "Such a relief."

Cindy smiled at us, and then stared at her boyfriend. So did Jorgie, Eleanor, my gang, and I. We watched intently, hoping that Caleb would wake up.

And he did.

"Caleb!" we cried his name in unison.

"Caleb!" Cindy hugged him. "Oh, Caleb."

I could see him blushing.

"H-hi, Cindy."

She held his face in her hands. "You are supposed to be in the hospital, young man." There was a cast on his right leg. "And why do you have a cast? You were not shot in the leg."

He gulped. "Well...you see..."

"You guys! We found something!" Margie said.

"It was captured on the cameras," Nigel added. "You have got to see it."

Cindy helped Caleb up, and we rushed over to them and the computer.

"What is it?" I demanded. "What did you find?"

"This video that we are about to view occurred the day before the button was pressed," Gretel commented.

"Okay. Let us view it."

Margie pressed the play button, and the video began.

It showed us the room where the button was at, and nothing interesting happened.

For only two minutes. Once the two minutes were up, things got good.

A girl came into the room. Her brown hair was messy and in tangles, and her body kept twitching. She wore a white, short-sleeved shirt and jeans with tennis shoes.

She strolled up to the button and was about to press it, when our writer stormed in.

"Mary Sue!" Ash shouted. "Do not dare push it!"