Chapter Thirteen

Katrina was at Cindy's & Mia's to get a bite to eat. She was sitting alone at a booth and reading the selection of the menu, deciding what to have.

"Let us see. Chicken with a side of spinach? No. How about a chicken salad and hold the tomatoes? Nope! That will not fill me up. I need more."

She turned the page and let out a whoosh of air. She was so invested in the menu and what to eat that she did not notice the familiar person who entered the restaurant. He was from out of town.

"Mmm." Katrina licked her lips. "This sounds good. A big potato loaded with sour cream - my favorite - green onions, and cheese." She closed the menu and set it at the end of her table. "That is what I will be getting. Of course, with a cup of soup."

"I am surprised that you have not yet noticed me."

Katrina gasped, for she recognized the voice in an instant, and tilted her head up. She blinked a few times.

"Benny?"

Benny stood by the empty booth that was facing her. He had his elbow resting on the top of the booth and was smiling at her.

"Hi, Katrina."

She adjusted her glasses. "It is you!" She leaped out of her booth and hugged him.

He hugged her back. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." She held his face in her warm and tender hands. "Oh gosh, Benny."

"I suppose that you are here because you are hungry. 'Cause you read my mind." He rubbed his big belly. "I am starving!"

"Excellent."

Katrina returned to her booth, and Benny sat at the other booth. Their eyes sparkled and locked.

Benny picked up the menu that Katrina had used and read the cover. "'Cindy's & Mia's. The only place for great food.'" He lowered the menu and winked at her. "Is that so?"

She giggled. "Oh, yes. I have tried their food before. It is scrumptious."

"Hmm..." He flipped the pages, eyeing every option. "...there is so much to choose from. What do you recommend?"

"The spaghetti with shrimp. They give you the most adorable shrimp! It is my favorite so far."

"So you are getting that today?"

She shook her head. "No. I decided to try something different. A baked potato. Loaded. I am even thinking about ordering extra sour cream."

"How am I not surprised? You love your sour cream. Why, I could say that you are addicted to it."

Katrina leaned towards him and gave him a playful slap on the arm. "You goofball! I am not addicted to anything."

"Except me."

The happiness on her face disappeared. "About that..." She laid her hands and arms on top of the table. "...why are you in Forlot?"

"To see you, the kids, your sister, and her husband."

Her breath caught in her throat. "I-I knew that Hansel and Gretel were here, but...Paula and Frank? They are in Forlot as well?"

"Yes." He put the menu back where Katrina had left it. "You have not seen them?"

"No. I-I have been so busy."

"With what? Your new job?"

"Obviously. Why else would I look tired?"

"You do not look tired. You are amazing. Well, to me anyway."

Benny was so sweet and kind to Katrina. Even after they broke up, he treated her like a queen. Also, he was trying to give her the hint that he still had feelings for her and desired for them to get back together.

"What do you do?" Benny asked her, pushing up his glasses. "And does it pay real good?"

Katrina tilted her head to the side. "Benny?" she said. "Did you do research before arriving to this town?"

"Not really. Just finding the location. Why?"

"I do not get paid."

He was suddenly confused. "...wait, what?"

"I do not get paid any money. None of the jobs here in Forlot pay you."

"But...is that not illegal?"

She smirked and winked at him. "Not if money is illegal. Which it is."

He wrapped his mind around that fact. "Hold on. Money...is banned in Forlot?"

She nodded.

"W-why? And how do the people earn a living?"

Katrina ran her fingers through her ponytail. "We do trades."

"Trades? Like what?"

"We trade belongings. Services. Just not people."

Benny rubbed his chin, intrigued. "Ah. That is actually clever to do. You know that money is the root of all evil."

"Amen."

"So, uh...what do they give you for your hard work?"

She answered without hesitation. "I work for Syicon, a company who helps people. They give me kisses."

"...kisses?"

"The boys give me all kinds of kisses."

His face turned pale, and he seemed disappointed. "Wait just a darn minute. You do not let random men whom you hardly know kiss you...do you?"

She slammed her back against the booth and laughed. "You are hilarious!" She slammed her hand against the table. "Do you really think that I would let total strangers kiss me? My soft and tender skin? Goodness, no. I am not interested in them."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Thank gosh. You got me scared there for a minute."

"And..." Katrina raised an eyebrow. "...why would you be scared?"

"I do not want you to be with a man who treats you with no respect."

"Oh?"

"You deserve a real man who will sacrifice his life for you."

"Like you?"

Benny's cheeks changed to a shade of red as soon as she said that. "W-what?"

"I know why you are really here."

His hands shook a little. "Y-you do?"

"You want me to be with you. To kiss your cheeks. Your nose. Your lips."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Well..."

She held his face once again. "But I do not want us to be together."

"You do not?! I mean...you do not?"

"Instead...let us get married." Then she kissed him.