Chapter Twenty-Seven

After helping them exit the cave, Libby led the main characters to the other end of the town. Their next and final destination was the courthouse where Ash's trial was being held that day, also known as George Parks VS Forlot. Keep in mind that our fellow characters were soaking went, for the only way in and out of the cave was swimming to the bottom of the lake, which was named Eric Lakes, even though that it was one lake.

"Can we dry off?" Hansel asked, annoyed that he and his clothes were extremely wet.

"If you cannot wait, sure," Libby replied. She pulled out two objects from....her lab coat...and handed the long, white towel to him. The other object was her cellphone. "Here you go."

How the towel and her phone did not get wet and what else was hiding in her lab coat are beyond me.

"You had a phone this whole time?" Gretel said, noticing it.

"Yep. I am supposed to keep it on me at all times. You would not believe how many emergency calls I receive on a daily basis. So many villains in Forlot. So many psychopaths."

"How did it not get wet?" Margie asked, realizing that the cellphone was as dry as a desert. It was almost in a demanding voice. "Is it still working?"

"A hundred percent, yes. It is not waterproof and therefore, would be useless if our writer made it so. But she needed my phone to work." She pushed up her glasses and sighed. "Proof that no logic exists in Forlot. Or the fictional world for that matter."

"Why does the writer need your phone to work?" Nigel spoke.

"I feel a call coming on, and not a good call. It probably will be a villain who is threatening me."

The Monster Protector tossed one of her pigtails back with her hand. "What villain? Dr. O'Connor?"

Nigel had on an angry scowl. "Oberious?"

"The Creature From Beyond?" Gretel guessed.

"Dr. Maxwell!" Hansel said with confidence. "It has to be him. Why, he knows all four of us."

Libby could not help but smirk, for those were excellent guesses, but this particular villain had nothing to do with them, and they never met her.

The young scientist stared at her phone, waiting for the important call. "She will be calling in three, two, one..."

Ring! Ring!

The cellphone was ringing at last, and Libby pushed a button that appeared on the screen and raised the phone to her ear.

"Hello...Ms. Hayley Taylor."

"Hello...Libby."

"I had the feeling that I would be receiving a call from you."

"Just like I had the feeling that your voice would remain stupid and ignorant."

"That does not make any sense."

"Like your Lubriem and her evil ways."

Libby clutched her phone tightly and clenched her teeth. "You do not talk about my Lubriem. Do not even mention her!"

"You know, I was in a bit of a shock when she was announced dead. But I could not be happier."

She unclenched her teeth and breathed heavily. "What do you want?"

"Oh, not much. I do not need you or any other Forlot characters to defend Ash and her name."

"I suppose because you really desire her to be found guilty and locked up in jail."

"Maybe..."

"That will not happen. The leaders of Forlot are smart enough to know that she did not press that button."

The main characters were listening closely, hanging onto every word.

"We have many questions to ask her when she is through," Hansel whispered to his friends.

"You know well that Ash created the button on purpose!" Ms. Taylor shot at her.

"She created it out of anger!" the young scientist shot back. "The day that she created the button was the day that real worlders admitted that they hate her and did not want her to exist! Besides, you have no evidence that she pressed it."

"And you have no evidence that she did not. Her motivations, actions, and beliefs are proof enough that she is responsible. And whether or not she activated it, she was the person who invented that button in the first place and needs to be held accountable."

"She tried to destroy it, but it was impossible!"

"Oh, and why is that? Hmm?"

"I..." Her glasses slid back down, and she pushed them back up again. "...I am unaware. She never told any of us why."

"She never told you because the button could have been destroyed. But no! She does not value the real worlders' lives."

"That is not true!"

"You would say that, of course. You are defending a criminal. Now, if you ever want to see Tim and his gang again, you should..."

"What? Tim and his gang?"

"You heard me right. I captured them and am holding them hostage until Ash'a trial is over."

"Are...are they alright?"

"Of course. Not a scratch on any of them. But I can and will kill them off if you do not heed my warning."

"And what warning would that be?"

"Do not speak on behalf on Ash. That goes for all Forlot characters. You hear me? Or Tim and his friends will perish."

"Ah..." Libby was pretending to be both surprised and frightened. "...I-I understand."

"Do not try anything. You hear me? I am watching you. You and your every move."

"I hear you loud and clear." She felt a tap on her shoulder and lowered the phone. She faced the main characters. "What is it?"

"We need to go to the bathroom," Hansel said. "Especially me."

"All four of you have to go?"

"Badly," Margie said.

She slowly lifted her phone back to her ear. "Hey. Is it okay if my friends go to the bathroom? In the courthouse?"

Hayley sighed. "Very well."

Libby nodded to them, and they hurried to the courthouse. "I promise, Ms. Taylor, that I will not defend Ash."