Dentist (imagine for hallohellohola)

"Okay, okay, I've got this," I mumbled to myself, shakily preparing the needle.

It was stupid really, because I was scared of them- no petrified- but I was here using it on someone else.

All of us had been partnered up, and sent off to the practice rooms. Dr.Irwin was watching the group, room by room.

I was with Kyle, one of my friends, so at least I was a little more comfortable while sir literally stared us down.

"Sophie, don't be so shaky," sir reminded, "the patient is usually the scared one, not you,"

If only he knew.

I laughed nervously and brought it over to Kyle, who opened his mouth and let me turn his head. I grabbed my mirror to move his cheek, and gently inserted the needle.

"Very good control. No big discomfort,"

"Thankyou," I said quietly, finishing up and wiping his mouth.

"Now switch, class ends in ten minutes and you need to clear up and get bags,"

"Okay,"

I sat on the chair, twiddling my thumbs as Kyle prepared the needle. Inside, my lungs felt tiny and suffocating, but outside I needed to stay calm.

No one could know I was scared, and sir couldn't see me melt down. I'd had one shot when I was eight, but that was traumatising enough.

He pushed the light over my face and gave me a thumbs up, to which I shook my head. Distorting his face, my eyes filled with tears which I blinked back.

"Take a deep breath," he reminded, tapping my chin so that I opened my mouth. I winced, my heart rate picking up.

I felt myself getting hotter, and gripped onto the chair. Whether I cried silently or not, there were tears.

We were graduating in two weeks, now going back over the basic skills. Previously, I'd convinced my partner to practice on someone else- Kyle didn't budge.

"It's okay," he said quietly, "you're not making this easy for me,"

It wasn't really the pain, it was the pain he could cause.

"You're done," sir said, "you two clean up, Sophie come down to my office after,"

I nodded, wiping my puffy eyes and climbing off the chair. Kyle gently hugged me, assuring me it was okay and that he'd clean up.

My hands were shaking.

I took my hair down to shield my face, walking down the corridor towards Dr.Irwin's office. I knew he had his own exam room, and it almost set me off crying again.

Quietly, I knocked on the door.

"Come in- Sophie," he smiled, "have a seat ay?"

He handed me a cup of water and a tissue, pointing to the dental chair. It was up, but I just perched on the end.

"I have to say, that was very good, well done,"

"Lots of practice,"

"That's always good to hear. You do give yourself a break though, right?"

"Yeah, I go to the gym and visit home a lot,"

"That's close by then?"

"Just out of town,"

"That's nice, Christmas is a lot easier," he chuckled.

He was still in his scrubs, and sitting her was making me more and more uncomfortable.