Chapter Fourteen: Take Me To Church

Sunday, September 22nd, 9:25am

I've been dreading this day for the past couple of weeks. Not because it's my brothers funeral, I mean that to, but also the fact that my Mom is trying to make it perfect.

It's a funeral people are going to be a crying mess no matter how many boxes of Kleenexes you order. Honestly she has a box of Kleenex for ever single spot and then an extra one underneath the seats. I've never seen more of a control freak, I still doesn't understand how my Dad could have married her.

The loud banging on my bed room doors wakes me up after me snoozing my alarm for the tenth time.

"Alec, wake up your Uncle Ryan is showing up soon, along with Aunt Lily!" My Mom yells though my closed door.

I don't answer and just roll over, I hear my door open, "Alec Turner! You get up right now! It's 9:30!"

I sit straight up, "Maybe call me by my real name and I will listen for once!" I yell back.

"Just get ready." She says before slamming my door shut.

New day same old annoying Mom.

I get out of my bed and walk over to my door putting my ear up to listen knowing that my Dad is most likely talking to her about calling me Alec. God I hate that name.

"For today, call her Ace. She is Ace, not Alec." I hear my Dad say.

"I'll try." My Mom says to my surprise.

A funeral, it's taken a funeral for her to finally start calling me Ace.

I walk away from the door and over to open my curtains to let the sun come in. It's after nine AM and the sun is at the perfect high to shine right in my eyes.

Last night my Mom came into my room while I was doing Math homework and picked out a whole outfit for me to wear. She expects me to wear one of Kian's old outfits because he was the one always getting black clothes while I only have yellow. I'm definitely not wearing my brothers pants.

Luckily for me I do own a dark gray skirt that I bought when I first transitioned and hadn't found my full style yet. But now that I have, my closet is full of yellows and light blues, maybe some floral, but the point is that this skirt was pushed to the very back of the closet.

I change into the skirt and one of Kian's button up black tops, of course I tuck the top into the skirt even though the shirt fits me perfectly. I sit down onto my bed to put on my only pair of black socks and my bright yellow convers.

I walk out from my room and smile when I see my Dad standing in the bathroom. He looks down at the floor.

"Ace your shoes." He says.

"What? They're the only ones I had." I sigh.

"Hold on." My Dad walks past me and down to his room.